General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

new blazer owner building tool kit

Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Starting Member
Eric Johnson is on a distinguished road
Default new blazer owner building tool kit

Greetings all,

I'm Eric and I just bought an 88 S10 Blazer 4x4 with the 4.3L. I do not know the truck well yet but would like to put together a small mobile tool kit to take with us camping this weekend. Just in case something breaks or I need to do some kind of roadside maint on her. I've never owned one of these rigs before so any info on common socket sizes, must haves (i.e. zip ties, black tape, etc) would be extremely helpful to my family.

Thank you and God bless!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure about the 1st gens, but I know the 2nd gens use a lot of metric fasteners, so a good assortment of metric sizes is a must. Other than that, all you really need is just your basic hand tools that would be good for any vehicle. Doesn't really apply to your '88 so much, but for anybody with an OBD-equipped rig, a code scanner is great to have, as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Starting Member
Eric Johnson is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for th e input red I put a kit together last night but didn't think about metric's for that at all. Who would have thought an old Chevy needed metric....lol. Anyways, I'll add a metric spread to the kit tonight. I have a hammer, flat and + screwdrivers, ratchet, short ext, long ext, assortment of standard sockets from 1/4-5/8 + lug nut socket, socket strong bar, pliers, channel locks, black tape and zip ties. Oh ya and jumper cables. I think I'm all set. Just hoping she'll make it up the mountain and back. This is a dry run of 180 miles for hunting camp in October which is 300 mi each way plus all the tooling around the woods during hunt.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Have you checked out your spare to make sure its properly inflated and not dry rotted? Have a jack? Whenever I go on long trips I take a portable power pack. That way I can jump the vehicle off it, it also comes with an air compressor and work light. Have fun!