General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New member looking for a ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 AM
berk is on a distinguished road
Default New member looking for a ride

Hey sorry if this is already been gone over a million times but I was not able to find any input on the subject of best years/options for mid-late model blazer. I have never owned one but I have long admired the 2 door jimmy/blazer and I am starting to think its time to find one. I was hoping someone would guide me on best/worst years or options to look for. I am usually a stick driver but would consider auto if they are reputable. I must have 2 door and 4x4. I heard there were available locking diffs? Is the engine good in all years? Any stuff I can specifically look for on ones for sale?
thanks in advance, berk.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Beginning Member
Wyatt Abshire is on a distinguished road

I am a fairly new member too, I have an 87 K5 Blazer ( I have pictures of it in my garage on my page so you can check it out ). Its 2 door, 4x4 of course. I have only seen one blazer that was stick from the factory and it was just a picture so good luck if you have to have that. If you perfer fuel injected 87 was the first year they did that, and if you dont then buy one older than 87. I havent had any problems with my engine or auto trans and it has about 150,000 miles on it. Hope this helped!

EDIT: I havent heard anything bad about a specific year 350 small block, and anybody that ive ever known thats had that engine has never had any problems with it. I have no idea about the locking diffs. Rust is the biggest thing to look for on trucks this old. Feel free to Private Message me, im always happy to help!

Last edited by Wyatt Abshire; 07-16-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Sorry I should clarify I am looking at the s10 blazer from like 98-03 range-ish. I drove one that was stick yesterday, but it needed lots of work. I am still considering it but I would need some input from the elders on it. It needed a clutch, and it was running very rich and somewhat poorly. Starter had to be shorted out to start it and the 4x4 didnt seem to want to lock in either hi or lo. other than that everything worked and it had pretty straight body and drove/stopped well. It was 1800 but I think the guy would come down to 1400 due to the mech probs. It was a 98.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member
Wyatt Abshire is on a distinguished road

I am fairly sure that the 4x4 problem is fairly common. I had it grind once when I was going into 4 Low

Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Starting Member
50percentgenius is on a distinguished road

Personally I have a 2003 and the only issues I've had so far are basic things like ball joints, tie rods, idler arm. Basic maintenance at a point you know. The late 2002 and 2003 and up engines have the best fuel injection and are said to get slightly better gas mileage as well.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Cool thanks guys. So what is a fair price for the mechanic special I mentioned here? Like i said it drives well, but needs 4x4 diagnosed and or fixed and engine runs way rich but guy says it has good compression and it starts okay, albeit with a screwdriver. And needs a clutch, thats about 125$. I am thinking about 1300$ would be fair, considering it has a straight body and all the windows n stuff work.