General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New member: Need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Starting Member
Tuna is on a distinguished road
Default New member: Need feedback

Howdy. Just joined this forum because I am consider purchasing my first Blazer. I am sure this forum will come in handy.
First off: Is there much significant difference between a 96'/97' model and a 2000?
Second: I am new to forums, so Please bear with me as I get familiar with this site. Thanks! //Tuna

Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

There are a fair number of differences between the 96-97 Blazers and the 98+. Many parts are not directly swapable, and are too many to properly list. It would be better if you could give us an idea of what you want to swap and then we can help you decide if it's possible or worth doing.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the reply. I have not yet purchased a Blazer. I have an opton possibly of a 2000 or a 97'.
Aside for probably paying more for a newer 2000, I was wondering if I would be getting actually significant refinements in the 2000 over a 97'.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Personally, having a 96, I wish I had gotten a 98 or newer Blazer. There are a few more accessories available, and a few parts like hubs that I think are better in the newer Blazers. That being said I do still love my Blazer.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I'd go with the 2000 if I were you. I have a '98 and my wife has a '00. I think the trucks are more refined after 98 and the parts are easier to come by, not to mention the ignition switches were problematic in 1997. I also like the interior much better in the 98+ trucks.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Starting Member
Default Door hinges?

I have found a 2000 Blazer which seems to be in good shape at 166k miles. The drivers door is loose, causing gaps in weatherstripping, which creates much road noise. The owner says "it just needs a new bushing in the hinge pin".

Would that be a difficult problem to fix without going to a shop? Expensive? Would the other doors likely require the same fix shortly? Any thing else to look for?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member
Double d is on a distinguished road

easy fix .. pins and bushings are probably 10 bucks and im being genorous saying about an hour to do ...

Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Double d
easy fix .. pins and bushings are probably 10 bucks and im being genorous saying about an hour to do ...
whoa.... dont get too ahead of yourself. its not always an easy fix... if it was left sagging for too long, the hinges could be egged...

Old 11-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
whoa.... dont get too ahead of yourself. its not always an easy fix... if it was left sagging for too long, the hinges could be egged...
If the holes in the hinges have gone out-of-round you can always do what I did on my Jimmy: fill the space between the new bushings and hinges with JB Weld. It has held up very well for the past eight months.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the door has been sagging too long, so I'm hopeing for an easier fix.

Quick Reply: New member: Need feedback