General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Newb here. 1988 Chevy Blazer S10 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Starting Member
Madman960 is on a distinguished road

Hello All. Long time Chevy enthusiast. 1st Blazer. 4.3 V6 4x4 plow truck.

Currently needs most lower body panels and more urgently needs a y pipe. I have the new y pipe. Going to try to replace it this weekend.

Future upgrades, 350 motor. But I would like to keep the 4 wheel drive. Is that possible? I know I will have to swap or upgrade the rear differential. Not sure if I can swap bells and keep the transmission. Will also need beefed up to handle the 350. Not going to go crazy with the motor. Going for 300-320 hp at the flywheel. Front end rebuild is also planned. New springs, shocks, tie rods, etc. Will likely replace the leaf springs and shocks in the rear for ride comfort.

I bought it with the working plow setup, newer tires, brake lines, battery, cap, and plug wires for $625. All original dash minus the radio but none of the wires are cut. Only 115k miles.

Please feel free to comment.

Bill

Should I join a different Blazer forum? There are several others. I joined to hear about my ideas for what I want to do. I recall loads of S10 builds with 350 Chevy's from decades ago. Not sure if any were S10 Blazers. I would put in a carburetored motor as I don't have any emissions standards to follow. Also no catalytic converter. Just y pipe to straight pipe with a muffler. I want to keep the 4x4 but it is not essential. I know that the tranny and rear differential need beefed up and frame supports too.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madman960
...I would put in a carburetored motor as I don't have any emissions standards to follow. Also no catalytic converter. .
If you live in the U.S. and drive the truck on public roads, then under Federal law regardless of any state laws, you still have to maintain whatever emission controls (including catalytic converter) were originally on the vehicle. We do not discuss removing any of them.