General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Offroad lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 AM
Sandman is on a distinguished road
Cool Offroad lighting?

Looking to add some (4) KC's or possibly a LED bar to the roof. Something functional, but not too crazy. (I live in the city, I play in the country) A few questions...

1.) Led light bars vs regular halogens...what do you guys prefer?

2.) What is the best way to mount these? Existing roof rack, or aftermarket?

3.) Wiring...rig it up to a switch, or integrate into my brights?

4.) I live in Kalamazoo...any options to quick detach these overnight? (Never underestimate people on their willingness to steal something)

Please feel free to share any additional wisdom...I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the lighting options!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:22 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Led willxbe more expensive but draw less power from your battery. Second question kinds depends on what you pick for lights. Third I would go with a switch. Fourth don't know of any quick release set up but it could be done easily with male female connectors.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by newguy
Led willxbe more expensive but draw less power from your battery. Second question kinds depends on what you pick for lights. Third I would go with a switch. Fourth don't know of any quick release set up but it could be done easily with male female connectors.

A couple R-pins, some Male/Female connectors, elbow grease, and a case of beer and I think it could be done! I like the look of the Halogens, but I like the energy efficiency, and the low profile of the LED bar...sooo many options!

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Leds are nice, but if you are worried about thieves, Led isn't the way to go. I had 4 KC daylighters, and while they helped at first, they became basically useless after I did a HID projector retrofit. I really think that a pair of projectors would negate any need for offroad lighting.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

I bought a pair of 6" off road lights from harbor freight for 11$ each than put an h3 HID in them, they are WAY brighter then before, and out shine my stock headlights by far.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by swells87
I bought a pair of 6" off road lights from harbor freight for 11$ each than put an h3 HID in them, they are WAY brighter then before, and out shine my stock headlights by far.

Seems like a pretty viable option! How much did it run you to get it all set up and running? I'm still kinda sold on the led bar...its low profile, and I hope it would go unnoticed until I turned them on! Amazon has a couple for sale that look decent, even if they are manufactured in China...I'm still waiting to pick my Blazer up from a relatives because I'm at school for the week...What is the width of the roof rack? If I got a led bar what is proper length?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I love my LED pods! Very bright, and draw about 35w for the pair. Mounted them behind the grille, so someone would have to be pretty committed to stealing them. They aren't as focused as the 100w 6" KCs on the Jeep, but they have a far better beam for off-road.

I was thinking of a 20-30"(haven't measured yet) LED bar for in the grille, that way I make it far more theft resistant. A roof bar would be sweet so long as it was mounted far enough back, or forward that it didn't light up the dash and wipers.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
BF Veteran

I`ve seen them mounted on the hood also

Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by newguy
A few guys around here have them, and they are very bright.

A small bar in this style of hood would be pretty sweet too.

Quick Reply: Offroad lighting?