General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

oil brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 AM
N2BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: oil brands

I used to be a firm believer in Royal Purple when it was made in California, but then they switched over to the refinery right outside Houston,Tx. The plant there is one of the dirtiest refineries in North America. When Pennzoil was looking to switch over to them they told the owners of the plant that they needed a minimum of at least 5 million in repairs and upgrades before they would even begin to consider them. Valvoline is unfortunately made there too now. Castrol is a decent oil just has a lot of additives in it and Castrol is all about marketing. I personally use Union 76. It's usually pretty hard to find but that's the oil a lot of NASCAR teams use. Mobil 1 is always a good synthetic.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i used to always use plain castrol but recently changed to Mobil1 to see if my truck acts any differently.

and i wouldnt be surprised if all oil was refined here in TX. theres oil rigs and refineries all over the state... they just started drilling for oil right smack in the middle of our campus

the plus side is, gas is much cheaper here. the TX average is usually like 20-30 cents below the national average

Old 12-13-2007, 12:46 PM
N2BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobil 1 adds 6 HP and takes away 1 FT LB
Valvoline Full Synthetic adds 2HP and 1 FT LB
Castrol Syntec adds 3HP and 3 FT LB
Amsoil adds 9HP and 8 FT LB
Royal Purple adds 20Hp and 16 FT LB

Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: N2BLAZIN

Mobil 1 adds 6 HP and takes away 1 FT LB
Valvoline Full Synthetic adds 2HP and 1 FT LB
Castrol Syntec adds 3HP and 3 FT LB
Amsoil adds 9HP and 8 FT LB
Royal Purple adds 20Hp and 16 FT LB
[sm=lol.gif]

Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts

glad i have Royal Purple in my Grand Prix , maybe when i do my new motor in the blazer i can add royal purple, but its expensive.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:47 PM
cain45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobil 1 oil with a Mobil 1 oil filter always!!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts

ORIGINAL: cain45

Mobil 1 oil with a Mobil 1 oil filter always!!
thats what i currently have, but the motor is blown as of monday. so im getting a new motor, and if N2BLAZIN says Royal Purple adds 20hp, then Royal Purple it is.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Funny that was mentioned because on Horsepower TV which is on the Spike channel for people with cable they did an oil test for Royal Purple. It did indeed give a hp increase on a stock 350 V8 motor.

How much HP you ask?

6 Verifiable hp...not alot but anything is a gain.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I call BS on the RP hp gains. 20HP Yeah freakin' right! If it were that much, everyone would be using it.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM

6 hp is nothing to sneeze at!

Quick Reply: oil brands