General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Painted my swirlies!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default Painted my swirlies!!

Just got the left sides done and I'm working on the right. I'm alternating; swapping the spare out with the one I'm working on so I can keep driving it, its taking a while to sand down and mask the wheels.
I used a scotch brite pad to rough up the wheels and caps then wetsanding before and after priming. Heres the steps I'm taking:

Clean tire, rim, and cap with mild degreaser
Scuff with pad
wetsand
mask aluminum veneers, tire, rim holes(back of them), and center.
wipe down with acetone
prime with self-etching primer
let dry
wetsand
paint with Ceramic caliper paint
let dry
wetsand again
paint again
let dry
Clearcoat with rim clearcoat for extra brake dust resistance
remove masking before clearcoat dries
let dry
clean up overspray with acetone (will not harm the aluminum, but will harm the new paint)

Heres the pics of the right side:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I had a small incident when I was getting ready to put the tire back on when my jack just gave out on me and dropped the left rear down on the rotor, but it didn't hurt anything luckily. Just goes to show that I need to use my jackstands....

Edit*** added before pics...

Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Painted my swirlies!!

Needs before pictures and...

...ALWAYS USE JACKSTANDS!!![sm=smiley7.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
BF Veteran

Got the before pics put in.

Very stupid mistake not to use jackstands, I could have injured myself, or worse, my Blazer.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Wheels look great. Nice job

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice Brent, pretty dang nice! You know what would be even nicer though.........lol [sm=bling.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely looks nice!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point

I though about doing this to my rims, but the only color I think I could go with is white seeing as my Blazer is white. That would be a real pain in the @$$ to keep clean and make sure the brake dust stays off of them. They are black now, but what color would you guys recommend. I might just leave them black.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I would go with black. You could do another color if you added a pinstripe with that same color.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran

I just didn't like the metallic grey that was on there... it looked like primer. Yuck! You can paint them white, but that will, like you said be hell to clean. I'd go black if it were me. Black rims on a white truck wouldn't look bad.

I replyed to the e-mail you sent me Yooper. If you don't mind, PM it next time though. I don't check my e-mail as often and I visit the forum.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

Very very nice!

Quick Reply: Painted my swirlies!!