General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

painting the bowtie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Blue thunder 2000 is on a distinguished road
Default painting the bowtie?

so guys im tired of the yellow emblem up in the front. I was wondering how one would go about removing the little yellow thing in the front and painting the sucker black, or blue, or white. but i cant do anything until i can figure out how to remove it!!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Pop the grill out and there's 2 of those tinny thin nuts (don't remember the correct name at the moment) that hold it on the grill.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

You can tape it off really good or you can do it the proper way which you are trying to do and remove it To remove it I think its easiest to remove the grill for access and on the back there are two nuts (I think this type of nut has a proper name but I don't know it) you just remove them and bam its off. Then it goes back on the same way. It's really simple to do!

Edit: so my original message was posted yesterday and I didn't even realize until today that nunya's response was ahead of mine and d*** you nunya for thinking the exact same thing about those nuts lol!!! You must have responded while I was typing my response from my phone which is slow as H***!!

Last edited by rexmburns; 11-14-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

i taped mine off really good, sanded a little, sprayed some primer, then paint, then clear. still looks good till this day.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

You can get the red and black factory emblem. Need to pull the whole grill off to get to the nuts

Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it is very easy. its one of the first things i did. did it to my car as well.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 AM
mmmrodge is on a distinguished road

you can vinyl it to play with some colors

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are called speed nuts

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I just cleaned mine off with a little solvent to get off any grease or wax, masked it off with blue painters tape and sprayed it with flat black paint. That was about 2 years ago. The first photo is from when I first painted it and the second is from today. Note the reflection of the PIAA's in the grill that is how I could tell which was which.

Attached Thumbnails painting the bowtie?-002.jpg   painting the bowtie?-073.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I replaced mine with an SS bowtie from the dealership. On my other trucks, i pulled em, sanded, painted, cleared... Easy job.

Quick Reply: painting the bowtie?