General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Painting tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Painting tow hooks

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

i would do black or if you go with a color, go with the same color as your truck

heres a link to a pic of mine. if i posted the pic, it would be too small to clearly see the hooks. its kinda hard to see but its the best pic i got of them.

http://aycu32.webshots.com/image/371...2540731_rs.jpg

i painted the tow hooks a flat black.

and i also painted the skidplate silver. i used krylon black for the hooks and krylon chrome for the plate
I was thinking of getting regular black, probably Krylon, but the rust-oleum might last longer.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 AM

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

I painted mine once with some rustoleum spray can paint sanded them down to the metal and primed them. They didnt last but maybe halfway into the winter before they were rusty again. So now I just went and got some of that rust convertor to black primer stuff. Sprayed a couple coats of that and then used an actual good rustolem semi gloss black that stops rust. So we will see how long they last. They look good right now, i dont have any pictures of them and my truck is covered with salt spray and snow right now so I would have to clean em up before I take a pic.

I would just stay with black cause then they don't become an eye sore later on.
That sounds like it should work. I didn't think of rust-oleum at first but now it seems like a good idea. I'd hate for the hooks to rust again. I don't wanna add too many layers of paint.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: [[B3k@h]]

Wait a minute guys... Maybe I'm just a retard, but.... I mean, I don't know much about tow hooks, & I'm sure that's painfully obvious... But if they're rusty .. Isn't that a bad thing? As in, shouldn't you replace them or go all Billy Mays on them or something?
The hooks themselves are fine. They're still strong and solid, it's just the surface turning kinda brownish and doesn't look too good anymore.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 AM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point

yey NY paint them black, it seems like it clashes with the cars paint job.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 AM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

powder coat them black

Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: blznlowxtreme

powder coat them black
ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

Get em powder coated.
Seriously, call some local shops and ask them how much to do them when they paint something else in whatever color you want. Or send them to me and I'll do it.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 PM

I have a bunch of local shops near me, one right next to the place I work and maybe my auto mechanic can do it.
If he's there today I'll stop by and ask him, but he's always busy so I don't know. I was thinking of the rust-oleum idea.

And yeah, but black does go good with the truck. Darker hooks would look even better and more noticable.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont mean to be a jerk or anything but dude you posted four times in a row, that will get you in trouble. so take this as a heads up so you dont get in trouble rather than getting yelled at. just edit your previous post if you need to add anything, and theres nothing wrong with a really long post

Old 12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

come on...they are TOW hooks...why all the big deal of what color. Does it really matter. Do you even use them? I don't think anyone really cares what color your tow hooks are

Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Otherwise the other thing to do is to use that rust converter primer and then use truck bed liner on them I think that would be real durable. I was going to do that to my frame rails but its gotten too cold for that now. I might still go to ziebart for the frame rails, but the bedliner stuff would probably work on the towhooks.

Quick Reply: Painting tow hooks