General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Passenger floor wet

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
Flying3 is on a distinguished road
Default Passenger floor wet

After it rains (damp) or especially after a wash (soaked), I noticed the passenger floor wet.

Any idea how you go about finding the leak? And if this is common, where the likely source is?

02 Blazer 4dr 4x4.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the door seal. If your hinge pins are worn out, it can open up a gap at the top of the door. Take a dollar bill, open the window, and then close the door with the dollar bill between the door and the body. Move it along the weather stripping. There should be resistance all the way around the door. If it feels like there is no resistance, water can and will leak through.

Another possibility is restricted drains in the bottom of the door and that the door is filling up with water and pouring out inside. Doors are not sealed completely and if the drains plug up, water can sit inside.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Could be the door seal. If your hinge pins are worn out, it can open up a gap at the top of the door. Take a dollar bill, open the window, and then close the door with the dollar bill between the door and the body. Move it along the weather stripping. There should be resistance all the way around the door. If it feels like there is no resistance, water can and will leak through.

Another possibility is restricted drains in the bottom of the door and that the door is filling up with water and pouring out inside. Doors are not sealed completely and if the drains plug up, water can sit inside.
Thanks for the suggestions. But after doing a search, now I am wondering if it could be related to a cooling problem. When in traffic, my temp gauge jumps up to 230 then drops back to 190 when moving. Also, I am hearing the sound if water "swishing" under the hood while climbing a hill at low speed. Could I also have a leak somewhere under the hood and its getting to the passenger floor? Or a heater core issue?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Beginning Member
madhatter256 is an unknown quantity at this point

How close is the puddle to the door? Is it near the middle and closer to the front of the glove compartment? If its close to the engine, then it probably is a coolant leak or water from the AC unit from condensation leaking.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do not rule out the possibility of two separate problems.

Do you smell coolant inside the truck? What is your coolant level?

Seeing as how it is much worse when you wash your truck, I doubt it would be a leak. The only thing that has been mentioned that *may* cause this would be a plugged up A/C drain, but even there, I do not believe that the cowl vents drain into the HVAC housing, rather they drain down the sides of the cowl and out at the bottom of the front fenders. If this area were stuffed full of leaves and other junk, it may be possible to get water into the HVAC housing I guess..

Old 05-15-2009, 12:48 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Where is this door drain you speak of? I'm pretty sure I clogged mine!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

They should be near where the skin meets the inner frame.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member

Could well be two issues. I just noticed the other day the carpet was soaked under the mat after a good wash. And this morning I noticed that it was damp (after it had dried) from the rain. I also noticed on an earlier day that I was getting water dripping from underneath the passenger floor (not antifreeze). This was before I discovered the wet carpet.

As far as losing coolant, I'm not sure I am. I just bought the truck a month ago and when the temp gauge spiked in traffic, I checked the overflow and added a 1/2 gallon of 50/50 mix.

Probably two different issues, but I'm taking it back to the guy I bought from. He said he would figure it out.

Its tough when you don't know the history of the vehicle!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Shmuckles is on a distinguished road

I seem to have a very similar problem with my 2000 Blazer... I woke up this morning after a major downpour here last night to discover a puddle on the passenger side floor. I checked around and the fire wall did not seem to be wet, but I suppose that would be the first to dry anyhow.

I searched for any sign that it could be a bad seal, but I can't see any evidence for that. Can anyone describe in laymen, very rookie mechanic terms how I might locate the a/c drainage, and the hvac housing, and how exactly to clean it out?

I forgot to add... I'm also worried that this problem is effecting the electrical, as might headlights, DRL's are on the fritz... They will often not come on until I hit the dash a few times. I have pulled the carpet up and am currently drying things out as I have heard that this can be very costly if it messes with the BCM?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Holy Thread Returning from the Dead! *racks the shotty* stand back! Double Ought to the brain box will put it down for good!

You have a 2000 Blazer. p Side Floor has a few things to worry about. Mostly, on the A pilar lives your Transfer Case Control module (if you're a 4WD). It hides behind the kick plate jut in front of the door hinges. Luckily the connector and wire harness face up to greet the moisture with oppen arms!

Also there is a cord of some sort under you carpet *under the padding* that ends right there in what looks like a ram chip, but thinner (like a solar cell almost) dont know WTF it is, but I destroyed mine. Your problem (wet after rain) sounds more like a bad seal (door which was covered) somewhere (possibly pase of windshield/under cowl). Look around the front under the little palstic guy that sperates your windshield from you hood (cowl) it is held down by 1 screw.

To head off any moldy smells, pop open a box of baking soda and drop it in the door side pocket. DO NOT POUR IT ON THE CARPET!

Also, if a thread is good and dusty, old, and hasn't been touched for a while, leave it be. I can see you figured out the search function (or googled your way in) to find this. if search doesn't turn up what you need, start your own thread, mention what your problem is, and what you have already tried/progress made by attempts, to get better help.
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: Passenger floor wet