General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Possible engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:05 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible engine swap

I have a 94 Sonoma just sitting around doing nothing. What I'm considering doing is doing a V8 Swap into it. I can get my hands on a low mileage 96 5.7 out of a 3/4 ton Chevy. I know it will fit. This should be an easy swap as the Sonoma is a TBI engine. I'm pretty sure its a drop in.

Will the stock 5spd handle the extra HP and Torque of the 5.7? I plan on using it for off roading and some street use.

Currently a 4x4 5spd truck. No A/C so there is lots of room to play.

What do you guys think.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

that trans will puke the first chance you do anything other than say hello.

here are some pic's of the original 5 spd that was in my '92 Jimmy. this damage was done before i bought it, and i replaced the trans 4 times in total. when i pulled this one to do the clutch (which is how i found the damage), i bought a reman from GM (cost me $2800 in late '96) and that one only lasted 2 1/2 years-broke the output shaft in two. the 2nd replacement ended up sounding like it was full of gravel after a year & a half. so the 4th and final swap was putting the original one back in.

FYI: my Jimmy was a "Z" code truck, completely stock (although it was stupidly fast-was clocked @ 247 KPH). i was hard on the truck-7 grand shifts, 4 grand launches in 4HI to beat the Imports-so i'm not 100% cetain that the trans was always @ fault, but i wouldn't trust it behind the torque of a 350-and definately wouldn't try to "get on it" at any time.

for your viewing plesure............

hope this helps you with your decission brother.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Well I guess that answers the question then. I hadn't planned on drag racing it. Just some trail running and a DD. I guess I'll keep the V6 for a while then. There is nothing wrong with the V6, just thought it would benefit from the swap. That money could be better spent on a lift kit and some new mud tires.

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad i could help you out, and i hope the pic's didn't scare you too much, hahahahaha! but i did want you too know just how weak these trans can be.

besides, doing the suspension and tires, that's a much better use of your money. plus it'll "look" cooler going down the road/trail. where as a V8 swap, you'd have to pop the hood for somebody to see the work you did.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:48 PM

I guess I don't really need 300 HP to go and do some trail riding. Thanks for the input. It stays as is and I work on the suspension and other misc stuff that it needs.

Maybe one of those $25 glasspacks will make it think it's got a 350 in it.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
Maybe one of those $25 glasspacks will make it think it's got a 350 in it.