Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

possible tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:20 PM
jccuban13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default possible tranny swap

got an 01' blazer extreme and i'm thinking of modding it into a street truck.thinking of changing it from an automatic trans to a manual. wondering if i need to replace the trans with a new one or just modify the old one, and what other parts i'm gonna need. am i bitting off more than i can chew?

Old 09-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: possible tranny swap

To go to a manual, you would definitely have to put in a new transmission. You can do a manual vavle body for the 4l60e that is already there, but that isn't the same as rowing your own gears in a true manual transmission. So you would need the transmission, clutch pedal and master cylinder, and everything else that goes with it. You would also need to get the PCM modified so it doesn't complain when the auto trans is gone...

Your best bet is to find a truck with a manual transmission and grab the PCM, clutch, flywheel, clutch master cylinder, pedal assembly, transmission and atleast measure the driveshaft to make sure that it is the same length as your truck's.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm reviving this thread, because this is a definite to-do on my list. My mechanic buddy thinks I've totally lost my mind for wanting to do this, but as soon as I have the money and a second vehicle, I'm going for it. The way I see it, I have nothing to lose, since my Blazer is paid for and long past any warranties. LOL

My biggest question is regarding what transmissions I can use. I believe the NV 3500 is the standard one that comes in these trucks, but are there any other types that also match up? Anybody know? Also, I've heard that it is important that if the recipient truck is a 4x4, the donor must also be, and the same goes for whether the recipient is 2WD (meaning the donor truck must also be 2WD).

Any feedback? Has anybody else actually done this successfully? If so, could you please post a how-to similar to Hanr3's transmission removal procedure? Also, my current auto tranny has a shifter in the tree, as opposed to the floor shifter that's in my wife's Jimmy. I know that will make it a little harder but still doable.

Feedback?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I got some feedback for you.

You can drop in the big brother to the NV3500, the NV4500 from the fullsize HD trucks. both bolt up to the SBC/4.3 blocks. the difference being the length of each tranny.

You can also swap out the column shifter for a manual column and remove the shifter. Plenty of places to buy a floor shifter.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Reviving again. Hanr3, thanks again for the great information!

For others who are interested in this topic, I'm still researching different manny tranny options. A company called Novak Conversions hasgreatinformationon a variety ofGM transmissions, and they do custom rebuilds at a very good price. Love their website too -- very professional.

I looked into the NV4500, but Novak says that the earlier 4-speed manual transmissions are actually more reliable. Can anybody verify this? I was thinking about having them build me a customized SM-465 transmissioninstead, if it can be matched to a Vortec. For one thing, the 4-speeds are smaller and probably easier to install anyway.

At the price they're offering, I may even get them to throw in a differential and drive shaft for the same price their competitors are asking for the transmission alone.

Once I actually start the conversion, which I'm sure won't be for a few months (gotta get a house for the wife and a second car for myself), I will add to Hanr3's how-to. If anybody else beats me to it, please feel free!

EDIT:

Don't let the Jeeps fool you on Novak's home page. They build applications for all brands of American trucks.