General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Private owner or commercially owned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM
hls811 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private owner or commercially owned?

OK - so I need a few opinions - let me know what you think.

As I've posted on a few other threads I'm looking to get a 2004 Blazer (LS 4dr) - I found one which is about 60 mileswest ofmy house. Last night I expanded my search and found another one about 90 miles away with 800 less miles, 1 month (actually 3 weeks) left on the original factory warranty, and a gray interior (as opposed to the tan that Blazer 'A' had). As far as I can tell all other options are the same. From the pictures I saw both looked to be in the same very good condition; interior and exterior. Coincidentally both have the same exterior color. They are priced within $150 of each other so that really doesn't play into it because its so little and negotiable.

I ran a carfax on both - they have both only had 1 owner - the difference is that car 'A' was owned by a private owner (although it is being sold by a reuptable dealership, it was a trade-in) and car 'B' was registered for commercial use (and is also being sold by a reputable dealership).

It really comes down to this - Which would you prefer, a car that had been used for commerical use or one that was privately owned?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Private owner or commercially owned?

Fleet vehicles are a gamble. IF you can find out what business owned it, it would be a simple matter to check maintenance records. For the most part, commercial vehicles are better maintained, however, those driving them do not own them....... Look at both, see what ya think, buy what ya want.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

For all intents and purposes, these cars are the same, so I would probably go with the private owner vehicle. That said, if they are high mileage vehicles, I might choose the commercially owned one since it may have had a more regular maintenance schedule.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership regarding the commercially owned vehicle.
Both of them have extremely low miles - under 20,000 - which is the reason I'd consider them...

Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

personally i would never buy a company car or truck. i drive a company truck and know many people who do. most all of them dont get maintained like they should, everybody gives them hell,

Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM

Well - it looks like I'm going w/ the previously private owner. Apparently the other one was commercially used by a car rental agency. I've rented enough cars and had my fun with them to know that I'd never want to buy one!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes company trucks get treated terribly!

Our company truck gets abused everyday!

Our company policy is...Mine over matter....(Aint mine, dont matter)

Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Zasder

Our company policy is...Mine over matter....(Aint mine, dont matter)
couldn't say it better myself

Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I keepdads work trucks in fairly good shape, but they still get severely abused. I'd say privately owned vehicles.
If a carfax were to be run on my blazer, it would show up as being once owned by Evans Htg. & A/C because my uncle had it on the company taxes. My dads truck still is on the company because it was originally bought to be a work truck and never transferred over.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 PM

did your dad pay for the truck or his company he works for? that usually makes the difference. i would buy my boss's truck but never anyother one he has

Quick Reply: Private owner or commercially owned?