General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Purchasing a ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Purchasing a ZR2

Hey Guys.
So im in the market for a new Blazer and i have been looking at the ZR2's.
I currently own a 91 4 door it is in much disrepair. It isnt in my best intrest to fix
all the issues as that would cost far to much.
So I have a few questions and the ZR2.
What issues should i be looking/listening for when i test drive?

What is more durable automatic or manual?

What options should i avoid/look for?

How avalible are aftermarket parts and how much (compaired to a 91) work would be involved in installing such parts?

How easy is it to maintain? Given the obvious frequent fluid changes.

Slightly a tall order but any help is Appreciated!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Not that this has anything to do with your question... but I shotgun updating your signature! lmao.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

It's going to be virtually the same as the regular 2nd gen Blazers. Just take a peak through the 2nd gen tech board and you'll see the common problems. The most common are 4x4 problems, ABS issues, and lots of rattles and creaks inside.
If you can find a manual one good luck. Manual 2nd gen Blazers are fairly rare. They are as easy to maintain as any other Blazer.
As for after market parts you'll probably find more for a ZR2 then you would for your current 1st gen. There are TONS of parts out there for 2nd gen Blazers. Anything from brush guards to lifts.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

As for like aftermarket Head/Tail lights, and other stuff like that. Its all pretty much taking off a screw or two, pop out, plug in. All work that can be done at home in 15 minutes.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

IIRC Zr2's are very rare in manual tranny, but good luck if your find one. Also everything is the same for 2nd gen blazers and zr2 minus wheels and lifts.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by oktain
Not that this has anything to do with your question... but I shotgun updating your signature! lmao.
Lol okay.

Originally Posted by zedartwo
IIRC Zr2's are very rare in manual tranny, but good luck if your find one. Also everything is the same for 2nd gen blazers and zr2 minus wheels and lifts.
Im not sure what its like down your way but so far here in Alberta i have come across a few 5 spd's However they are about 30-40% more expensive compaired to the auto ZR2. Hopfully by the time im full out ready to purchase one they will still be around. Most of the ads keep getting re posted possibly due to lack of sale.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Hmm, well good luck! Blazer or Jimmy? (Jimmy's have painted flares, Blazer's are Spectra grey on all colours)

Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the manual tranny. I have one in my 2dr. They put the manual only in the 2drs and the majority of them went into the ZR2s. It's a nice shifting gear box, the only downside at least with mine is that the clutch is super heavy.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Starting Member

Pretty Sure Im going for the Blazer. There is somthing about them that i just find catchy

Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
It's going to be virtually the same as the regular 2nd gen Blazers. Just take a peak through the 2nd gen tech board and you'll see the common problems. The most common are 4x4 problems, ABS issues, and lots of rattles and creaks inside.
If you can find a manual one good luck. Manual 2nd gen Blazers are fairly rare. They are as easy to maintain as any other Blazer.
As for after market parts you'll probably find more for a ZR2 then you would for your current 1st gen. There are TONS of parts out there for 2nd gen Blazers. Anything from brush guards to lifts.
where are you seeing brush guards i can not find them anywere except ebay