General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Question About Ball (Towing) on back Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:01 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road
Default Question About Ball (Towing) on back Bumper

Ok, I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4 door and I was wondering if I happen to get stuck mudding or in the snow and someone cant get to my front recovery/tow hooks, Can I hook up the strap to that ball thats bolted to the bumper and go slow and not be yanked out and vise versa more of a slow and steady pull? I dont want to install a hitch, Im almost thinking about getting a tow hook and trying to see If I can possibly weld one on to the back somewhere. Any info/suggestions?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yes

I have pulled people out many of times and also been pulled a few times using the rear bumper hitch ball. I definitely wouldn't jerk it just to be safe but it wont give if your just pulling, out of all the times there are no signs of my bumper being bent or out of place in anyway. If it makes you feel any better to reassure it I have a body lift on, and the bumper brackets in the kit or not as strong and there are two less bolts in the bracket to the frame on each side and I hooked a strap to the ball hitch on my bumper and pulled someone out one time without jerking it and still no movement or anything bending. Hope this helps

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i'd get a hitch put on, hitch is cheaper then a bumper, those ***** are not ment to pull alot of weight or be pulled. in an emergency i'd use it or try to find something else to pull off of. otherwise try to find a good deal on a hitch, they do come in handy

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 02-13-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

x2 what both said.

yes you CAN be pulled out by it
but
you really should get a to hitch reciever and your choice or recovery hitch (hook, shackle, hook and ball, shackle and ball, etc) as the hitch reciever will be a lot stronger if properly installed

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yup, I have a class III hitch 2" receiver type & got a receiver hook at a store for $10. I've pulled out more than a few vehicles, cars, few truck & even attempted a 5 ton dump truck lol but the ice under my tires & the angle weren't co-operative
plus the hook at the back looks mean

Old 02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are ever going to put a body lift on, the stock hitch won't work. I had to put my ball on the bumper, going to modify the hitch so it will work with the new bumper brackets for the lift. Also FYI when putting on the lift, directions say to cut the frame?? I cut the bumper instead......

Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Blazn1
If you are ever going to put a body lift on, the stock hitch won't work. I had to put my ball on the bumper, going to modify the hitch so it will work with the new bumper brackets for the lift. Also FYI when putting on the lift, directions say to cut the frame?? I cut the bumper instead......
thats true about the stock hitch not working, but the B/L was on my blazer when I got it & the people that installed it didn't use the bumper relocation brackets
in some ways thats ok but now i have to add something in the space where the bumper should be
my bumpers are at stock height & the body is up 3"
& as for pulling someone out with a ball on the bumper - sure, if you dont care about your bumper, i'd be really carefull lol

Old 02-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a guy yank me out using the bumper and a strap, Front was buried in a snow drift. The bumpers are pretty tuff. Had a trailer loaded to the hilt on the ball in t he bumper, also tow my cj7 with it on the bumper.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran

wow, thats more than I though they could take & when you're truck is stuck it's - whatever works lol

Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blazn1
I had a guy yank me out using the bumper and a strap, Front was buried in a snow drift. The bumpers are pretty tuff. Had a trailer loaded to the hilt on the ball in t he bumper, also tow my cj7 with it on the bumper.
are you talking about using a tow-bar on the CJ? i sure as hell hope you don't trailer it on the bumper, 'cause that's a big .

as for the OP question about mouning a tow hook or ring, you could just fab a plate to bolt to the frame, and weld a tow ring/hook to that.

but i have to ask, why do you have such an issue with installing a hitch on your truck?

Quick Reply: Question About Ball (Towing) on back Bumper