General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Question on rear seat belt compatability

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road
Default Question on rear seat belt compatability

Hello...
My 1994 GMC Jimmy ' s rear retracting seat belts have seen better days. One won't retract and the other was nearly chewed in two by the previous owners dog. I have a chance to purchase some out of state on line that came from a 2000 Blazer. Can anyone advise if the replacement retractable seat belt male ends, will fit my stock buckles?

​The seller is not willing to accept returns, so looking for some insight from the folks before I drop cash for the purchase.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:53 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

94 is an odd year, but I'm sure you know that... Between the S10/Sonoma and Blazer/Jimmy of 94, that was like they're "trial" year for various things. My father has a 95 S10 and my mother in law has a 94 S10, both basic all manual 4cyl single cab 2wd trucks, and from working on both I've noticed that almost NOTHING mechanical or electronic is interchangeable on them lol

That being said, you may be able to get away with something like a seat belt retract, maybe all the way up to a 2004 model, the back seats didn't really change much accept for material type. Worse case scenario, you might just have to get a set of buckles from a newer model to bolt into your 94 to match the belt ends.

My suggestion if you're able to do it, unbolt and bring one of your back seat buckles to a local junk yard and see if a belt from a newer model will clip into it

Old 04-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
94 is an odd year, but I'm sure you know that... Between the S10/Sonoma and Blazer/Jimmy of 94, that was like they're "trial" year for various things. My father has a 95 S10 and my mother in law has a 94 S10, both basic all manual 4cyl single cab 2wd trucks, and from working on both I've noticed that almost NOTHING mechanical or electronic is interchangeable on them lol

That being said, you may be able to get away with something like a seat belt retract, maybe all the way up to a 2004 model, the back seats didn't really change much accept for material type. Worse case scenario, you might just have to get a set of buckles from a newer model to bolt into your 94 to match the belt ends.

My suggestion if you're able to do it, unbolt and bring one of your back seat buckles to a local junk yard and see if a belt from a newer model will clip into it
That a superb idea. I sent the seller some pics of my stock belts compared to the measurements of my trusty tape measure. I'll wait and see what his reply is...but really digging your salvage yard idea!