General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Rear Hatch problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM
candleman is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Hatch problem

Ok, I'm new here and I hope this is the proper place to ask my question.
My rear glass hatch keeps un-latching when I start the vehicle. The latch is new as we thought it had a short in it. The problem is still there, why would the hatch open when the car is started, how is the latch related to the start up of the car?
TIA for any help....

Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There has to be wires crossed somewhere. The fact that it opens when you start your vehicle seems to mean that it is crossed with one of the ignition sources that is hot during cranking. Does it operate normally once the vehicle is running?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 PM
candleman is on a distinguished road

Ok, back in july my hatch latch wouldn't latch, after a bit of oil it worked for a week or two. I then spayed it with white lithium grease and all was good untill the temp got down to 32 degrees about a month ago. Then it would start to unlatch on it's own, so I thought. I replaced the latch with a new one.
Now, before I even get into the vehicle I check the glass hatch to see if it's popped open overnight, it hasn't. When I start the car, I can sometimes, but not always, hear the latch open.

What ties into the ignition system to enable the latch to unlock? the security system, the overhead lights?

Somehow when the dome light override is not activated, (inside lights on when door opens) this is when the hatch seems to open on it's own as the car is started.

A true gremlin . Help!!!!

Last edited by candleman; 12-17-2009 at 03:38 PM.