General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

replacing 50state cat with 49state cat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default replacing 50state cat with 49state cat?

Will it harm the truck? I live in CT and a 100% chance I will never be driving my truck to California so would there be an issue if I was to slap on a 49 state cat converter and save myself a few hundred bucks? A 50 state is about 750 shipped and installed from my mechanic. A 49 state cat is about 250 installed....but they told me it would harm the truck in the long run. I don't see how it would, a 49 state and a 50 state do the same thing....just a 50 state is regulated to smog or something. I can get a 50 state on jcwhitney for about 3-400 shipped but the 49 state is significantly cheaper. If I can save some money right now that would be a great thing...I need a new fuel pump soon (sending unit).

Old 09-09-2013, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Driving without a cat will do nothing to your blazer except make it illegal. So a 49 state cat should be just fine, short and long term.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Yup, what thog said, they are just trying to get you to spend more money.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I suspect there is no difference between the cats
With California having the strictest laws , I bet lots of manufacturers just don't want to deal with certification or if they have somebody is going to pay for it

Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

only difference is ca emission pipe has precats while 49 does not

Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

the cat WILL NOT harm anything. its a simple system. its got crap in it that burns emissions etc. then spits exhaust out. Nothing to hurt. If the shop tells you it will hurt the engine. time to find a new shop.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

BTW your vehicle may not even have "California emissions" to start with

Like someone else said , might be time for a new shop

Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I was thinking the same thing, I dont see how having two cats and one cat would make a difference. There is a sticker under the hood with a caifornia emissions code on it. But having a 50 state cat shipped here and installed costs a prety penny.....when a generic 49 state cat would cost me 200 installed.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

do the cheap one. as long as it pasts emissions there (if you have it) and it keeps the engine light off you are good to go.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM

Yeah, i have to get emissions testing here. I need new O2 sensors cause my check engine light is on.....and has been coming on and going off randomly at times......but now it's on all the time. I'm just going to slap on a 49 state converter.......i'm not planning on moving to california lol

Quick Reply: replacing 50state cat with 49state cat?