General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Rest of the story on our blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Default Rest of the story on our blazer

I got the call on the Blazer engine tonight. Crankshaft is OK but all the bearings rods & main are wore out. 116,000 carfax miles. So bottom line they are putting in all new bearings So the bottom end will be fresh. Maybe we can drive some of the money out of this POS.
Is there a way to go back on carfax about this vehicle. They listed this as a top vehicle. I have their readout. The shop working on this said the bearings looked more like 200,000 miles & that would explain the wore out rear disc pads.
Anyway, I have hope once again we might be able to drive this Blazer. But I bought a 95 F150 Ford 4x4 to replace it so I may dump it anyway.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 AM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

how long have you had the blazer since bought from carfax, depending on how long ago it was you can take back with paperwork showing from a mech that it wasnt what they say they can either refund you some or can replace parts on it for nothing

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trobbins
how long have you had the blazer since bought from carfax, depending on how long ago it was you can take back with paperwork showing from a mech that it wasnt what they say they can either refund you some or can replace parts on it for nothing
I bought it on 3/20/12 I carfaxed it the day I bought it. The troubles started almost right off & has never quit. I emailed them, I will see if they respond. I'm sure I can
get a few different mechanics that worked on it to note there opinions. I was a former ASE mechanic but I was in the time that certifying mechanics started back in the 70s when it was call NIASE.
I'll keep you posted as to what if anything I hear.
The shop gave me one of the rod & one of the main bearings today. I can't believe this truck even ran with any oil pressure. But It ran 25 psi hot idle 45 psi off idle. Even more amazing is they checking the crank with a mic & it was ok. So maybe we can try to drive some of our money out of it.
Thanks

Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

The previous owners must have drove this thing through hell and back. 10 times.. My friends old 96' blazer had 250k on it with original everything and it got just as good of gas mileage as mine and had an oil pressure of 45 at idle when warm. And he drove the hell out of it, frequent WOT accelerations at 4500 RPM and it never left him stranded.

Im sorry you are having such bad luck with this thing, you really did get a lemon. I mean in the 3 years i have owned mine i have probably only put 1000$ into it that was required to keep driving. and thats a high estimate.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM

would you mind posting a pic of the rod and bearing you got back so we can see how bad it was

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by trobbins
would you mind posting a pic of the rod and bearing you got back so we can see how bad it was
Yea I will. I don't have my camera with me But I will Sunday or Monday. As an old tired mechanic I have them on my dash of my Honda. I look at them in amazement.
I can't wait to post pictures 7 hear the responses.
If is suppose to be ready tomorrow. I hope it will give me some service. I'm depending on it to take us 500 miles on Saturday, then my wife is hoping to use it to commute to & from work 132 miles a day for three weeks. But I do have a dependable Ford & Dodge if needed.
The other thing that was weird was rear disc pads wore out. Our 97 had drums rear brakes & 190,000 miles & the original shoes were still on it. It isn't like you can drag them off with the E-brake.
Oh I emailed Carfax & basically they aren't responsible for the accuracy of their reports. They only report what the dealer, police, or motor vehicles has. So when you buy their report there is no way to know if it is accurate or even correct. It is a crap shoot just like buying a used car is, The main difference is you put $39 in their pocket then take a chance.
I think they are a scam myself. I may take my case to the State Consumer Affairs, or the Attorney General. Because They don't protect or even sell accurate or correct info.
CARFAX IS A BIG SCAM.
Craig

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 02-21-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i agree. carfax is only good if stuff is reported to them, so they are pretty much worthless. i had 320,xxx on my old 95 blazer and it only had the rear brakes replaced once, and that was before i got it. it had 126,xxx when i got it and they had been replaced at around 80,xxx guess.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 PM

i would take it to some court cause why are we paying them if we are not gettin accurate info on the car we are wanting to buy or know about what a crap shoot

Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

you guys must have seen the commercials that say that you can get a carfax and see everything on that car that was REPORTED to carfax. my girlfriends truck is a perfect example. she got hit up in Washington and had to get the truck towed home and get it fixed. pull the bed out, new rear bumper, rear brakes, leaf springs on the one side. carfax says that the car has NEVER been in an accident.
carfax is a complete joke.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Well, I final story on my Blazer. They changed out the rods & mains & a knock is still present so the crank must be toast. It drove from Kingman to Bullhead City.
So it is sitting in Arizona, it runs & could be loaded on a trailer, but needs a motor.
I want the tires off it, if anyone in So Cal or Arizona wants a cheap Blazer PM Me. I want it gone. I will put tires on it off my Ford truck that I want the new tires on the Blazer to go to.
Only PM me if you have cash & can come get it & your serious. I don't have time for games. This thing has me pissed off real bad as it is.

Quick Reply: Rest of the story on our blazer