General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

S-15 Jimmy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 03:03 PM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough
Default S-15 Jimmy?

I have a '91 S-15 Jimmy that my '02 Blazer is replacing. Is it OK to seek info here regarding it (It is the same as an S-10 Blazer) or would that be sacrilegious?

Old 07-29-2021, 04:57 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Oh no. These are basically the same and others have discussed Jimmys here.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Oh no. These are basically the same and others have discussed Jimmys here.
Glad to hear it, it seems like a good forum here from what I have seen so far.

Well...I have this '91 S-15 Jimmy that I bought about 15 years ago to leave at my camp in upstate NY. It's starting to rust out and I got an '02 Blazer to replace, like I said previously. Now...I went to NY recently to swap the vehicles out and the Jimmy had been sitting for about a year and a half. That's two full upstate, NY winters without being touched. I had the battery disconnected but had little faith that it would start without a jump. But it did. It started as if I had just parked it the previous day. Outside the rust, the vehicle is pretty sound. It starts, it runs, it goes where I point it and the 4WD works like it should. I might have to keep it.

It does seem to have the sagging hinge issue on the driver's side. Is there a remedy for that? Where does the sagging occur?

Old 07-29-2021, 11:51 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Glad to hear it, it seems like a good forum here from what I have seen so far.

Well...I have this '91 S-15 Jimmy that I bought about 15 years ago to leave at my camp in upstate NY. It's starting to rust out and I got an '02 Blazer to replace, like I said previously. Now...I went to NY recently to swap the vehicles out and the Jimmy had been sitting for about a year and a half. That's two full upstate, NY winters without being touched. I had the battery disconnected but had little faith that it would start without a jump. But it did. It started as if I had just parked it the previous day. Outside the rust, the vehicle is pretty sound. It starts, it runs, it goes where I point it and the 4WD works like it should. I might have to keep it.

It does seem to have the sagging hinge issue on the driver's side. Is there a remedy for that? Where does the sagging occur?
These Blazers/Jimmys are tough little trucks. I think this is especially so for the first gens.

As for your sagging spring, because you do have rust as an issue where you are, I'd check that the spring shackles are in good shape. I've seen videos of 1/2 ton Silverados with shackles that were rusted through! But assuming those are fine, you just might have a case of worn out springs. You might be able to get another pair of springs from a wrecking yard but again with the rust, it might be hard to get the U-bolts off.

I'm sure someone else will likely chime in with ideas.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:50 AM
Starting Member
bravo99 is on a distinguished road

when you say hinge sagging and if you mean driver door, probably your Pin holes are ovaled out and your bushings are gone. Most shops recommend a weld shut and re-drill on those hinges before replacing pins and bushings.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by bravo99
when you say hinge sagging and if you mean driver door, probably your Pin holes are ovaled out and your bushings are gone. Most shops recommend a weld shut and re-drill on those hinges before replacing pins and bushings.
I peeked at it a little yesterday and that pin hole looked bigger than it has to be. Thanks for the direction, I'll look at that. I have some machines in the garage and if I could figure out how to use them, I could just drill the holes round and make my own bushings.