General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

safety

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
1998 red blazer is on a distinguished road
Default safety

I just saw a video of the blazer in a crash test and it did pretty bad. Almost makes me not like them as much anymore. Has anyone else seen these videos? It kind of makes me sad and annoyed, cause I have defended GM so many times, but after seeing that video I really do not have a come back anymore.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:49 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the crash test videos are not new to this site, but I've seen plenty of crash tests on other vehicles that came out badly also. The reports on small SUVs from the period that Blazers were built mostly are mostly all negative. You can also find posts here from members who were involved in wrecks where the non-Blazer was creamed, but the Blazer driver was unhurt. Bottom line is, don't panic, just drive safely like with any vehicle.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Beginning Member
bezerker is on a distinguished road

No matter what the vehicle there is always a chance of death and a chance of coming out unscathed.

Don't worry about that unless you are making this a family car. Even then, no matter what you do there's so many horror stories regarding accidents you will never want to drive again.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

I mean I agree that with any car there is a chance, but it seems way more likely now (if I get into a head on). I know they are good on sides, and probably if i was hit from behind. I always thought that one day I would pass this vehicle down to one of my brothers, but I don't think I ever can with good conscience. And there are plenty of people out there that do use these as family vehicles.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

The Blazer post 1998 has an NHTSA 4 star rating.

"Of the few changes to affect the Chevy Blazer during its long life, the most crucial came in 1998 when it gained revised inner and outer styling, four-wheel antilock disc brakes and a passenger-side front airbag. The addition of a second airbag is especially important in light of the Blazer's very poor NHTSA one-star frontal crash test score for the passenger in prior years. After the revision, the score jumped to four."

sourced from Edmunds.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member

So if the airbag does not go off, then it is no different then the pre 98? I'm not trying to convince anyone that these are unsafe, but when I saw that video, I really got kinda angry at this. It made me wish I had gotten a grand Cherokee or even a trailblazer, so I wouldn't have even known about this whole thing.
Do not get me wrong, aside from that I really like my truck. but that is a huge factor. i had thought to myself that i would keep this truck forever and i intend to, but after seeing that, it makes me think, "how could i love it so much," considering im not safe when i am in it? i don't know, maybe i am the only one that feels this way. i regretted not getting a Zr2, but the 2 doors are even worse. im not bashing, just venting

Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Just look at the IIHS crash test results from any small SUV back in the day. The majority of them like the Blazer came out with a "poor" or less then good rating. The Blazer did get a poor crash rating.
There are a few members that have been in serious accidents in their Blazers (including a roll over) and they survived. There is danger with any vehicle and you have to remember safety back in the Blazer's day (late 90's, early 00's) were nothing compared to what they are now. There were no side curtain airbags, or pre-crash warning stuff. Safety technology has come a long way.
Short of the story is, don't worry about it. Yes it got a poor rating from the IIHS but as long as you drive smart you have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

It fairs poorly on the head-on crash test.

This doesn't bother me, because for the most part, I can control what I hit in front of me. Its the other angles that I worry about.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I can honestly say I have never checked crash ratings on any vehicle I owned. I stumbled across the Blazers since someone posted the video up on the forum. Did it bother me? No, not in the least bit. That stuff never crosses my mind when I'm driving or purchasing a vehicle. However, I will point out that it's usually just me in the vehicle and I don't have a family or anyone that I would need to worry about this stuff for. That may attribute to it lol.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1998 red blazer
So if the airbag does not go off, then it is no different then the pre 98? I'm not trying to convince anyone that these are unsafe, but when I saw that video, I really got kinda angry at this. It made me wish I had gotten a grand Cherokee or even a trailblazer, so I wouldn't have even known about this whole thing.
Do not get me wrong, aside from that I really like my truck. but that is a huge factor. i had thought to myself that i would keep this truck forever and i intend to, but after seeing that, it makes me think, "how could i love it so much," considering im not safe when i am in it? i don't know, maybe i am the only one that feels this way. i regretted not getting a Zr2, but the 2 doors are even worse. im not bashing, just venting
If the airbag fails to deploy in any vehicle, you are well, "screwed". You shouldn't have to worry about it. There was more than likely many other safety improvements that contribute to a better rating.(1995 STS vs 2000 STS, same car, but much better crash scores in newer model. Look them up!) you can be seriously injured in any vehicle. Besides, how often are you in a car accident? Just enjoy the truck, and don't worry about driving it.

Quick Reply: safety