General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

School me on Blazer keys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default School me on Blazer keys?

Hey All,

I have not been able to find an answer anywhere yet, although I did attempt a search of the forum. Could not find any topics that seem to address my question.

For the '98 Blazer that I recently acquired, I got 6 keys from the previous owner. The thing is, 3 of them are the same, and the other 3 are same, but have more "points" in the cut of the key, for lack of a technical term.
All the keys will open and start the truck, based on the little bit of experimentation I did so far.

I'm curious if anyone knows why there would be differences? I was curious if one were some type of valet key or something, but so far I have not found out what each does or doesn't do, so that theory might be way off base.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

3 could have been used a lot and the points have worn down. And the other 3 were probably never used. Just a guess.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
ZR2Daddy01 is on a distinguished road

key blanks are not all the same lengths, mabey they had three made and they cut blanks that were too long giving you extra teeth on three of them. I had that happen with my grand am, the keys worked but you had to pull them out a little.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a lockable glove box (I can't remember my Bravada...)? If so, do they all work in the glove box?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

I wanted to follow up on this post from a while back.

I was at a local dealer's parts counter, and asked the guy working why I might have different keys. He says "They aren't different", even though they look different. Apparently, some are machine-cut and some were hand-cut, but each has the same basic 'profile', there-by making them the 'same' key. By the way, no locking glove box on my truck. Further testing has proven him to be correct, I cannot find anything that one kay can do that the other cannot.

So even though there are definite visible differences in the peaks and valleys of the key, the function can still be the exact same. Seems hard to believe, but that is indeed the situation.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

Could be worn out lock cylinders. That happened on my old '68 Nova. Door key would start the car but the ignition key wouldn't open the door.

If they work don't fix em.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

OK thread jacking happening here. How about the newer key blanks with the integrated fob, will they work on the older gen 2's?