General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Serpentine Belt Inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:11 PM
RockyMountainHermit is on a distinguished road
Default Serpentine Belt Inspection?

Had wanted to post this question in the General Tech Help forum, but no New Thread tab appears there.

Anyway...I have a '96 Blazer/2-door S-10 that we use as a utility vehicle and I had the serpentine belt replaced about three years (20,000 miles) ago. The local Brakes Plus (yes--I already know they're idiots) did an oil change on it a few weeks ago and told me the belt was showing cracks.

I don't see any cracks. What's the best way to examine the belt to see if I need a new one? Also...I presume it's a neoprene belt. Correct?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Look for cracks on the smooth side and missing pieces on the other side. I recommend replacing it every 50,000 miles with a Goodyear Gatorback. Very easy.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I got a free belt depth gauge from Gates. I believe you should be able to look it up on their website and find out how to get one also. It's a very useful tool for gauging the depth of the grooves on a serpentine belt.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Look for cracks on the smooth side and missing pieces on the other side. I recommend replacing it every 50,000 miles with a Goodyear Gatorback. Very easy.
Thanks.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
I got a free belt depth gauge from Gates. I believe you should be able to look it up on their website and find out how to get one also. It's a very useful tool for gauging the depth of the grooves on a serpentine belt.
Thanks, Toby.

Funny you should mention that because I saw those advertised online and I ordered one; got it in the mail the other day.

Here's the problem, though: From what I'm reading, you can only use that gauge for the newer EPDM-type belts, not for the older neoprene belts, which is what I'm presuming my current replacement belt is made of.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Just run it until failure! LOL. But like rriddle3 said, cracks and missing chunks is the best way to tell.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Just run it until failure! LOL. But like rriddle3 said, cracks and missing chunks is the best way to tell.
In all seriousness, the thought has actually crossed my mind.

Looks like I'm going to have to try to figure out what kind of belt it is (neoprene or DPTM) because it looks like wear on neoprene belts shows up as cracks and missing chunks whereas wear on EPDM belts is determined by measuring the depth of the grooves on the underside of the belt.

Or...I may just decide I don't care.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RockyMountainHermit
In all seriousness, the thought has actually crossed my mind.
Just throw an extra in the back if you want. Heck, you can change the belt in under five minutes with a lug wrench!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

last time i lost a belt it took me 5 minutes to pull the missing ribs out of the alternator before i put the new one on...... it was a pain.