General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Should I Subscribe to Alldata?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 AM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road
Default Should I Subscribe to Alldata?

Been thinking about getting a subscription to Alldata.com for my Jimmy and other vehicle (97 Corolla) Of course I have Haynes manuals for both and read this forum and other online sources for information. Waste of money or good source of info for the cost?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I've got it. I wouldnt call it a waste of money.. but if I had to allocate the cost, it would be as hobby expense rather than a household support expense.

My subscription does much more for you guys than for me, so far.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

we have it at work... it helps 80 percent of the time. theres times where it doesnt tell you anything. it will have like 3 steps, remove screws, remove panel, remove item. then you find yourself thinking, ok where are the screws, how do i get to them, how many are them, how do i remove whats in the way of that panel lol. but yeah, see if they have some free trial thing you can check out

Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by abig84
we have it at work... it helps 80 percent of the time. theres times where it doesnt tell you anything. it will have like 3 steps, remove screws, remove panel, remove item. then you find yourself thinking, ok where are the screws, how do i get to them, how many are them, how do i remove whats in the way of that panel lol. but yeah, see if they have some free trial thing you can check out
I guess 80 percent is pretty good. I'm tired of all the inconsistencies with Haynes, with torque values and what not. Plus they are both ragged, so it would be nice to just print out what I need when I need it instead of having to flip through a book, trashing it in the process with grease and stuff.

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I've got it. I wouldnt call it a waste of money.. but if I had to allocate the cost, it would be as hobby expense rather than a household support expense.

My subscription does much more for you guys than for me, so far.
It seems like you know your stuff, so I guess it makes sense that it is not as helpful for you as it is for those noobs like me that need good instruction. Thanks for the input. I think I might try it out, it's not that expensive.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran

yeah thats a good point. i used to use the chiltons books for my k5 blazers and i dont think those things have ever helped me. i love their "installation is opposite of removal crap they pull all the time. they didnt even have a exploded view of the front bearings on the k5, the whole reason i bought it

so yeah compared to haynes or chiltons its awesome as hell

Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM

So I went ahead and subscribed, and so far it seems like a pretty useful resource. One thing I don't like is the navigation. It's a little difficult to find exactly what you're looking for. Also, I'm going to attempt to replace my CV axle tomorrow, and there is no step by step on the replacement that I can find. Just labor and part rates. I know we have a tech article here on the forum, but I like to get as much info as possible before starting a project. So there are a couple of things I don't like, but I don't regret subscribing.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah it takes a while to figure out especially looking up some of the more obscure stuff like wiring diagrams. It should have a step by step for a cv joint. It might just be in a different section. I had to work on some old vw bug before and that was the only time where it had not a thing on the vehicle