General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Small accident this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Swartlkk: I'll agree that once you jump behind the wheel, you are responsible for your actions. Ice is a natural factor, and one that drivers should be aware of. Granted pulling into a parking lot in an area where there has been moisture AND freezing temps, black ice and residule ice is going to be a very real possibility. <-- but they were paying to have it "maintained" and in winter months that includes being kept ice free... (imo)

I also agree that it is easier to shift blame. Which is where the fun lies. If this weren't America (where you can get paid via lawsuit for hot coffee being: hot) then you'd both be out of luck from the damage. But the beauty of our fair country is that nothing is your fault ever if you can spin it correctly. for example watch this:

Thanks The_Beast. Do you see what you've done? You've created dissent within the forum. Now I'm forced to dissagree with Kyle because you can't park on ice you didn't know was there. Way to go.

Just like that, I'm free and clear

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

schools are notorious for putting the blame on other people or things other than themselves, some kid sat something on my hood in the parking lot last year and I guess it slid off or something and put a big scratch in my hood. When I came out I was like wtf? I called the school and they said they'd check the camera's and get back to me. but they never followed through and I still have a big scratch on my hood because of some stupid kid or kids that have no respect for other people's cars

Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most parking passes are in place not as a money making endeavor or even to cover maintenance, but to limit the use. You would have to read the policy that you agreed to when you paid for your parking pass. The agreement may explicitly state that conditions may vary. It should if it was written by someone with half a brain.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
BF Veteran

Damn, now i'm setting myself up for 2 opposing discussions...
Benedict1337: I dont see THAT one as the school's fault (other than checking the cam to see if they could ID who cause the damage). It wasn't school personnel that put crap on your hood. Nor did they sanction the damage. While it occurred on their property, it doesn't make it their responsibility

However, if you could get an ID on the cat that scratched your hood, you could seek justice/compensation/repair i suppose so long as you could prove fault.

swartlkk: Weak. Good point. If any kind of agreement is in place at all, you would then have to work with/around/through any verbage that could/might/does cover that kind of thing.... <--- thats why you get paid the big bucks i suppose.

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-28-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Put it this way... Would you sue the traffic authority if you hit ice, ran off the road, and hit a tree on a toll road? By the same token, you are paying for the use of that road...

Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Granted we do not have to deal with ice very often down here, but I have never seen a parking lot, public or private, that took any measures to remove or cover ice. Sidewalks, yes, parking lots, no. Never heard of such a thing.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM
BF Veteran

yes. yes i would....
that isn't actually accurate though...
it would be more like:
if you had an extra $5 tacked onto your rent for parking area maint at your apt complex, would you sue if they didn't do the upkeep you were paying for and you slid on ice into a pole causing slight damage....

paying for private lot maint, not paying for public road access (which you could say i pay road tariffs so ALL roads are toll roads...)

Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

It is the same basic premise. You are paying for the use of that piece of property whether it be the toll road, the parking lot, or... What is yet to be determined is whether that payment is simply for use, for maintenance, or something different entirely... That is where the agreement comes in.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It is the same basic premise. You are paying for the use of that piece of property whether it be the toll road, the parking lot, or... What is yet to be determined is whether that payment is simply for use, for maintenance, or something different entirely... That is where the agreement comes in.
That's just it, there is no agreement. All it says in our handbook is, parking is a privilege, all school rules apply in the lot, no loitering, and you have to pay $50 a year to park.

Just a question: How can the school charge us money to park in a public parking lot?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Somewhere there is an agreement or policy that you agreed to by paying.

And by making it a pay-to-park lot, it is not public parking. Said agreement/policy would also cover that as well. I am sure if you push the school to pay for the damages, they will show you the policy or agreement (whatever you want to call it).

Quick Reply: Small accident this morning