General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Small accident this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

swartlkk: Touche. With any aggreement in hiding, this could all just be an exercise in post count building, but, I'll stick to my guns until I see the words yo!

rriddle3: As for businesses de-icing parking lots
here is an entire manual on just that put out by the fine folks at U of Minn

Ferndale, MI for example has City Ordinance No. 809, which states parking lots must stay clear. Parking lots are usually serviced by "conscientious contract snow removers" meaning simply the business contracts some dude to come clear their parking lot to keep business open

The_Beast: If you would take the time to get that policy from the office it would be fun to see how this ends. (i'm gonna guess swartlkk is correct, and their asses are thuroughly covered) I hope SOMETHING pans out for you though even if its just 2 bags or rock salt handle sprinkled in the lot...

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-28-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Clear and free of ice are often two different things. This is especially true if you live in a cold climate that also gets quite a bit of sun during the day.

Even that manual takes into account that ice can and will form. Even with effective anti-icing practices, ice can form and be a real pain to remove.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABN31B
...rriddle3: As for businesses de-icing parking lots
here is an entire manual on just that put out by the fine folks at U of Minn

Ferndale, MI for example has City Ordinance No. 809, which states parking lots must stay clear. Parking lots are usually serviced by "conscientious contract snow removers" meaning simply the business contracts some dude to come clear their parking lot to keep business open...
I thought I was clear in my post that I was speaking of 'down here' (meaning Texas). Are we trying to win an argument or something? The OP seems less concerned about the matter.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Yea it sounds like bulls*** to me too, probably nothin will come of it until the principle's daughter gets ran over by a school bus or something and ends up bein a vegetable....

Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Are we trying to win an argument or something?
something like that... i'm mostly just exercising my brain juices and trying to argue all comers. not to win, more for the sake of the argument (love of the game) and I did miss the in Texas part of your first post

The_Beast does seem less that concerned by it. Sucks he did 'damage' to his ride but not so much so that it would be worth going after the school in a lawsuit or something stupid like that. Damamge is damage, but at least its minor.

I am of a similar opinion as he stated in the beging though, that if parking lot maintenance was covered as a use for the funds in the pay-to-park lot, then some maintenance should be included beyond re-marking parking stalls and such. I would consider de-icing maintenance.

@swartlkk: agreed on all accounts.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always down for a healthy debate!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran

Looks like this one is ove before it really got rolling.
Unless The_Beast brings more fuel for this fire, it looks like we are at an impasse unless there are more/new arguments on the topics presented above...

Old 01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Honest question though- since it is a public school paid for via tax dollars and the parking lot is also fixed with tax dollars, wouldn't the parking lot be considered public property? Thus a liability of the county?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran

Iteresting prospective.... I'll have to poke around (google) some things and see if i can't find something to weigh in on that with...

also... if tax dollars cover the school (and grounds) then how can they charge students to park in the lot under the guise of covering maintenance fees IF taxes are already covering those fees. Isn't that double dipping?

I am of the uninformed OPINION that it would fall on the school DISTRICT as opposed to the county. I.E. If your tax dollars funded a park, and a piece of equipment was not maintained, if someone got hurt it would fall on the city before it fell on county....

I think you could say that neglect in maintenance lead to unsafe conditions. It is the schools responsibility to provide a safe learning environment, and if the students have come together to supply $ for maintenace and are given better parking space as a result, then the better parking area is still a responsibility of the school and should be maintained, as needed, with the money provided for that purpose. Hence, responsibility would fall on the school <-- district <-- then who ever owns districs within a state... etc

(I understand that schools are in bad shape and are under a lot of financial burden right now, etc. i am not suggesting that anyone sue a school into closure over a paint scuff... I'm just wondering how they can justify charging for something that is already paid for...)

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-28-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator

This comes back to what I said earlier. The parking passes are likely to control the number of people allowed to park in that parking lot during the day. Something that is well within the rights of the school. It comes back to that whole policy/agreement thing.

Quick Reply: Small accident this morning