General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 PM
03blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snow

I got a 2003 2 blazer. Its 2wd. and this will be my first winter with it. I was wondering how everyones blazers handle the snow. I had a 4X4 Truck last winter. but i think the blazer will do well. So please share your experiences with your blazers in the snow and ice.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Snow

get good tires and easy on the gas pedal, thats all I can suggest.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Burlisonm is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, a lot of it has to do with how a person drives but if you have a 4x4 it helps.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

The blazers do have a little weight over the rear tires so it sticks pretty well, even in the 2 doors. With any vehicle though if you got good tires and are easy on the loud pedal as said before, you will be just fine.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Agreed, I go to school in the UP and we average 250+ inches of snow every winter and I drove in the worst storms with crappy highway tires all winter and had no problems. Just go real easy on accelerating while going around corners as you can do a 180 very easy. Just use light throttle, get some snow tires or some nice All terrian tires (BFG Goodrich AT's are what I have now but have not driven in the snow with them yet). Also if you really wanted just throw some extra weight in the back (extra bag of dog food 50lbs. or whatever). I used my 30 lbs tool box right up against the rear seats. Now I have my sub box and 2 subs/amp plus all my winter gear. I drove probably 95% in 2wd this last winter (only put it in 4x4 to go up steep snow covered hills or to get out of my plowed in parking spot without shoveling).

EDIT: You just have to get used to how the blazer will react in certain situations and then you will be all set. I don't condone this idea (although I do it all the time), and take no responsibility for what happens if you do it. I would take the blazer to a large open area (parkin lot, etc.) and practice with taking turns at normal speeds and seeing how she handles and then how to counter act it to make you be able to drive better.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 AM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road

I would take the blazer to a large open area (parkin lot, etc.) and practice with taking turns at normal speeds and seeing how she handles and then how to counter act it to make you be able to drive better.
Exactly. Def safer than doing it on the street. I love these trucks in the snow. Nothing has stopped mine so far....

Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Snow chains lol! But yea just take it easy on the ice and take offs! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the previous posts.One thing I would add is to remember that you may have good grip and accelleration in the stow, but you still have to exercise caution when stopping. Many people think that because they have 4wd they can stop in shorter distances, I wouldn't be to sure about that. Test it in an empty parking area.

A few years ago one of our local officers of the law saw me "testing" in a church parking lot and had some "questions" for me.
I told him I was testing the control of a new truck and that I'd rather find it's capabilities in a parking lot than on a busy city street. He grinned and told me to find another parking lot in an area less visible to the general public.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/4AB6857885CA47C5BBF436674F563C4D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

just remember...4 wheel's slip just as easily as 2....if you have ice..your 4wd will not help ya...you spin out like the rest of the world....the only time I use my 4wd in the winter...is when there's about and inch of oily slushy ice on the road..most other conditions you really don't need it...(just my personal thoughts)

Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer
I drove probably 95% in 2wd this last winter (only put it in 4x4 to go up steep snow covered hills or to get out of my plowed in parking spot without shoveling).
X2. Did just fine in 2 wheel for most of winter last year. Actually got reimbursed from my last job for picking people up when they couldn't make it out of their driveway. When I needed 4-wheel, it handled everything well. I'd have to echo what others are saying as far as taking it easy on the gas. I consider myself a fairly decent driver and was able to drive past a snow plow truck on the PA turnpike going to Altoona at 55mph while everyone else stayed behind it at 40mph in my Wife's FWD 94 Grand Am. Don't be a fool and your truck won't make a fool out of you!

Quick Reply: Snow