General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Snow

We never get satisfactory amounts of snow... all we get is freezing rain, sleet, and some powdery snow on top of it. My blazer has never been in the snow, but I have driven my dads truck in the snow.Even though its alarge chevrolet truck, it didn't do too well. The front end kept wanting to drift the opposite way on the ice and everything. I WAS in the field btw... not on the curvey country roads around here.
As with any vehicle, you need to be carful.

The only concerns I would have with your blazer is its a 2wd, so you will not have the bite on the front wheels to get the vehicle to turn.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Four-Wheel-Drive moves it but IT DOESN'T STOP IT! Keep that in mind. I run more SUV accidents in the winter time than anything else because people think that they're invincible in the snow.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

4x4 seems to make people think they're invincible...

It takes longer to stop a 4x4 than it does a 2wd... More weight, more rotating mass if your IN 4x4...

being in 4x4 on the highway = more chance of a rollover if you spin out...

The biggest thing that'll help, asided from being easy on the go pedal, is having weight in the back, and good tires.
Before I got my Blazer, I had my 2wd S10, that had... Okay tires... And without weight in the box, no matter what I did, or how slow I went around a corner, the rear end swung out (I took it out at 3:30 - 4AM just for that purpose, to see how it did without the weight) I put two 16lb sand bags in, and she stuck to the road like glue...

However, if you have Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's or however those last 3 letters go... You WILL have problems. My truck needed 4x4for 4 inches of powder with those tires... I put my BFG A/T's on and I never needed 4x4 except when I was making my own trails...

Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 PM
03blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. I just got new tires about 5K ago so i am good on that. and i will probally go take the truck to an empty parking lot if it snows really bad to see how it feels but im not worried about it. I got a sub box in the back so i think i am okay with weight. Hopefully this winter isnt to bad for us here in Michigan!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I love hard winters. As long as its lots of snow and not lots of cold and wind. Better for skiing and having fun in the blazer.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Amen. The last time we've ever measured a foot of snow was in 2001... well that was actually 2.5 feet out of a stalled front!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

This will be my first winter with a 4x4. Long overdue that's for sure.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: 03blazer

Thanks for all the replies. I just got new tires about 5K ago so i am good on that. and i will probally go take the truck to an empty parking lot if it snows really bad to see how it feels but im not worried about it. I got a sub box in the back so i think i am okay with weight. Hopefully this winter isnt to bad for us here in Michigan!
Hopefully the tires do good for ya!

What flavour did ya get?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 PM
03blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

ORIGINAL: 03blazer

Hopefully the tires do good for ya!

What flavour did ya get?
I got BFG Radial Ta's

Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Oooh, those should be okay, they seem like a pretty decent highway/all season tire.

Quick Reply: Snow