General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Snow

ORIGINAL: drperry

...you get a little bit better grip from the narrower tire...
the whole "winter tire" thing is completely foreign to me but why do you want a narrower tire for snow and ice?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A narrower tire has less of a contact patch (i.e. lower surface area where the tire meets the road). With a smaller contact patch, there is more pounds per square inch of pressure. On snow, you want to be able to cut through the loose stuff to the pavement underneith. Floating on snow is bad.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

gotcha! i really wish we had snow around here... i feel like im missing out. it usually "snows" about once or twice a year but its more of a freezing rain which turns into a sludge/ice mixture and is all melted away by 2 or 3 in the afternoon

Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

haha! i wish.

Actually im really considering changing my career path due to icy dark highways. I mean how many times do I need to have a "near death" experience on the way to work.....not worth it in my books, no matter how much their willing to pay me.

I will more than likely get used tires since I do a fair bit of driving on dirt roads.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: BlackBlaze

my bfg at's are great in the snow, they are the best purchase i have made for my blazer
They're great in the snow, yes... But they're only decent on ice, lol.

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

A narrower tire has less of a contact patch (i.e. lower surface area where the tire meets the road). With a smaller contact patch, there is more pounds per square inch of pressure. On snow, you want to be able to cut through the loose stuff to the pavement underneith. Floating on snow is bad.

For snow, it's only to dig to the pavement BEFORE the spinning tire makes too much ice, lol, however, when plowing through the deeper snow, as long as there's NO ice, a mud tire will generally out perform any ice/snow tire... But as soon as you hit the tinyiest piece of ice... You're hooped.

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

haha! i wish.

Actually im really considering changing my career path due to icy dark highways. I mean how many times do I need to have a "near death" experience on the way to work.....not worth it in my books, no matter how much their willing to pay me.

I will more than likely get used tires since I do a fair bit of driving on dirt roads.
Agood set of tires will go a long way to avoiding that "near death" feeling/experience...
With both my Lumina (when it had its winter tires) and my Mazda, I always was sure footted enough to stay planted on the road, it never wandered, spun out (unless I wanted to ) and never got stuck on the roads... Both did a lot of pulling people out of ditches and snowbanks, but never got stuck...

Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah just getting a good set of all terrian or winter tires should help a lot. Also for the real dark highways mount some lights to the front for more visibility (just keep in mind other drivers when aiming and using these lights).

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
BF Veteran

for sure atm my headlights are all **** eyed......cant really see anything on the highway.

but im heading for moose jaw in a few hours [:'(]

its rediculous on this job, I have to drive like 300km and get a motel for 2 nights for a measly 1 day of work, how retarded is that.....

Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

lol that bites...

You should fix your headlights... Though, from what I hear, the GMC's are a PITA

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
BF Veteran

I tried! lol but i started to strip those torx screws

I plan on getting the sylvania silverstar ultras $60 for 2. are these 2 bulbs (per side) headlights? like 4 all together?

think im going to get canadian tire to aim them for another $60.

I just finished talking to my dad and he says I dont need snow tires, apparently the nokian vativa's are all terrain, so he thinks im alright with them. lots of tread left anywho......1/4" at least

Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 PM
BF Veteran

They'll do good in the snow, yeah, but if you're worried about ice, then... not so much, lol... My BFG's are awesome in the snow... But not so much on ice... Though, that could be due to the fact I'm running them at like 45 - 48 PSI

Quick Reply: Snow