General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

so heres whats wrong that you can see...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Wrong. Take it from a guy with experience. What you're looking for -assuming the engine IS that great - someone dumping a nice one with coolant trashed {LIM} engine, selling it for scrap price.
What do you mean by wrong..? I didnt say i would want it as a DD i would just get it as a project and work on making it look pretty. If its all cosmetic i wouldnt mind working on it, probably because im young and have nothing better to do lol.

Even if a blazer had cosmetic problems and problems with the engine i would still take it if i could get it for a good price. There was a '99 blazer around here going for $500 with a blown LIM gasket and the wrong front end on it and i almost went and bought it for a project. only 120k miles on it too

So if you have time and desire to work on it then do it, or if you are tired of working on cars then dont... its simple. All that stuff like i said wouldnt be hard to fix.. just time consuming.

Or you can part it out and hope you get enough $ to buy something else.. which sorry.... you wont. SO I SAY fix it. But thats my personal opinion, and it looks like im the only one with that opinion.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Best thing to do is try and do it in stages. The cosmetic stuff is ugly as sin, no doubt, but it's not important. Mirrors, you can get them at the junkyard or ebay for pretty cheap, so no reason not to do those soon. Especially since they look like they're ready to fall off.

The wiring, you can get a harness from a junkyard or order a Painless kit and redo the whole truck in a weekend for a couple hundred bucks. (or less if the harness is from a JY)

While you're doing the wiring, mount the dash properly.

Temporarily you can caulk the crap out of the hole in the roof to help seal it until the rest of the stuff is done. Afterwards, you'll have to get rid of the goop around the hole and see if it needs new metal welded in or whatever, but that can wait if you seal the hole for now.

After that, you have a trans to do, but if the rest of those important things are done, I'd save the money for the trans and drive it until it dies.

That's all if you decide to fix it, of course. It certainly is a lot of little things, and a project like that can easily nickel and dime you to death, so doing it yourself will certainly help a bit.

Oh, and Gio... the PO is a POS for the "repairs" done, but that doesn't make the truck any less of a POS in the shape it's in.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Starting Member
99Legendary is on a distinguished road

Did you get this from a junk yard or something?

It would be nice to see you fix it up though!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 99Legendary
Did you get this from a junk yard or something?

It would be nice to see you fix it up though!
He traded it for his dodge pick up.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tripovermyego
Id really like to find a deal like that!! Last night, I went and put a cone filter from a CIA on it and took it for a little test drive and I tell you what, she will smoke the tires like its nothing now!!! So I would honestly love to find one that someone has smoked the engine and wants to get rid of it fast and cheap.

air filter made it smoke the tires like no other eh?

cough..

Hope you can fix the blazer.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

id take a bicycle over a dakota anyday. unless it had some resale then i would just take it and sell it

Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Wink

Originally Posted by abig84
id take a bicycle over a dakota anyday. unless it had some resale then i would just take it and sell it
Lol. Or a good engine and decent seats. Looks like a win and finish bonus.

97 cherry.. you read, picked, and then said pretty much exactly what I did.

If it was a project for off-road headbanging that would be different.. and I'm all for it. dont ruin a perfectly good street truck bashing it around.
But I've done a few projects in my time and they ALL end up taking at least twice as much as you think, even if you figure worst case.
We all know car pictures flatter and lie, and that truck looks like crap in the pix.
It can kill your spirit.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog
97 cherry.. you read, picked, and then said pretty much exactly what I did.

If it was a project for off-road headbanging that would be different.. and I'm all for it. dont ruin a perfectly good street truck bashing it around.
But I've done a few projects in my time and they ALL end up taking at least twice as much as you think, even if you figure worst case.
We all know car pictures flatter and lie, and that truck looks like crap in the pix.
It can kill your spirit.
Yeah sorry for some reason i thought you meant "wrong, dont fix it and just scrap it"

What can i say.. i have a bad case of being a teenager and not paying attention

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chris015
air filter made it smoke the tires like no other eh?

cough..

Hope you can fix the blazer.
That blazer wouldnt spin the tires to save my life before that filter. Now, itll light em up. I dont know what the deal is on it. And the paper filter I installed was brand new and still looks like it. So I dont know.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

The tranny can't be too bad if your smoking tires. The 98 I just bought needed some repairs but I figured it would, So I'm just fixing it up as a long time keeper. Anything is repairable if you want to put in the time & effort or pay someone to fix it. In my case I do some stuff & pay to have some stuff done.

Quick Reply: so heres whats wrong that you can see...