General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Spare tire confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019 | 07:39 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Ive seen and run worse - if you are concerned by them rotate them back to the rear again. I wouldn't have rotated used tires to the front anyways makes me wonder why they did ....

Old 09-11-2019 | 11:02 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I always wondered why they called the 'donut' spare a 'space saving spare', because it doesn't save any space. When you take the stock flat tire off and replace it with the space saving spare, you have to store the stock flat tire in the slot the spare came out of .Therefore the slot has to be full size. Caution: be sure to drive less than 50 mph and go less than 50 miles on that donut ! Then they came up with an even better idea: a 'run flat' tire on all four corners would eliminate the need for a spare.

Old 09-12-2019 | 09:29 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
I always wondered why they called the 'donut' spare a 'space saving spare', because it doesn't save any space. When you take the stock flat tire off and replace it with the space saving spare, you have to store the stock flat tire in the slot the spare came out of .Therefore the slot has to be full size. Caution: be sure to drive less than 50 mph and go less than 50 miles on that donut ! Then they came up with an even better idea: a 'run flat' tire on all four corners would eliminate the need for a spare.
I've seen some newer vehicles (specifically, Dodge Caravans, but I'm sure there are others) that don't come with a spare tire at all. Instead, they give you a plug kit and an a 12V air compressor. They do still have a place for a spare tire, though, so you can buy one and carry it.