General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Started undercoating my truck today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Started undercoating my truck today!

As with any paint process, the results are only as good as the prep. I have seen some amazingly robust finishes using POR15, but you cannot paint over rust and expect the finish to hold up. You must get down to the base metal before laying down a coat for it to last the longest.

I will probably be using POR15 for the frame on my Chevelle when I get it out from under the car.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:23 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ya i'm doing this to my tranny crossmember that i got used. i'm using a wire brush end on a drill and going around it down to bare metal. then i'm using the 3M rubberized undercoating to paint it. i'm also spraying the inside of my new fenders and tail gate w/ some similar undercoating.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like it might be too crappy of a day to go do the other side so I'll wait a couple hours and if it doesn't clear up I will go take pictures of the side I've already done. And as Swartlkk mentioned don't expect this stuff to work miracles, prep just as you would with any other paint, mine was just small surface rust so a wire brush worked great.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Starting Member

Here's a few pics of the supplies I've used so far.

That along with a socket set to remove your wheels and something to block the other ones and keep your truck from rolling. You'll also want a pair of gloves, clothing that you do not care about and possibly a hat and/or face mask. Hopefully the sun comes out so I can get the other side done!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Starting Member

Here's some comparison pics of the unfinished side, to the POR-15 side. Remember I will be putting a rubberized coating overtop of the POR-15 in the wheel wells and on the frame rails, I'm just giving it a day or two to cure first, trucks staying parked for the time being.

The enemy:

Much better:

I'll get better pics with my roomates camera tomorrow, still a few spots that I have to go back and touch up, still have to take the brakes off and do them fully but thats the at the bottom of the list of importance. Tomorrow I think I will take off the fenders, inner fenders, and front bumper and have a go at it...depending on the weather. Very pleased with how this is turning out!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks a lot better!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Starting Member

Tomorrow I will get a picture of the whole truck. I'm still amazed how much better it looks, now every blazer I see drive by I'm checkin out their frame rails lol!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

lol at the exhaust...does it smell when it heats up? Looks good by the way

Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

[Awaiting Taymacjack's Approval to make this a useful post]

Old 04-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Starting Member

Approval for what? Lol...It's raining right now so it doesn't look like I'll get much done today unless it stops and dries up. Either way I'll get some full pics of the truck

EDIT: Here's a couple full pictures, hopefully its dry tomorrow. And before anybody else says it I know I need to clean my tires

I need to get some high temp paint and coat the exhaust manifolds/exhaust up to the muffler, do these paints actually hold up well? Any particular brand to look for?

Quick Reply: Started undercoating my truck today!