General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
noom14921992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default steering

i have to replace my pitman arm and idler arm and i have the parts but i think it takes a tool i dont have any one here know any thing. and i have power windows but the driver window does not work how do i know if it is the motor or the switch or both. and the lights in my stock radio dont come on but it does work how to fix that.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
GeorgesBlazah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: steering

For the Pitman arm your going to need a puller to get it off of the shaft. IIRC you gotta loosen two fo the nuts on the box and move it around some to get the puller on there.The Idler arm bolts on and off.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope this question isn't considered hijacking, but I've seen replacing pitman arms in more threads that I would expect. I sold parts a long time ago and pitman arms were always considered non-wear items. Do the pitman arms in our Blazers have bushings or some other thing that allows them to wear out?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typically, if let go, the pitman arm will start to wear on the splines that mate to the gear box. Seems the pitman arms are made either a bit on the loose side or of too soft of a material and like to wear out, causing excessive play in the steering that will only get worse and can sometimes wear the splines on the gear box shaft.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM
noom14921992 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea well mine is a 4 wd and i just got it but i am the 2nd owner but he killed it i am going to have to take it to the shop. some one said that is i take it to the shop and ask for a total front end alignment that they will fix every thin that has to do with the steering. is this right or what to get done

Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say that depends on the shop you take it to. A good honest mechanic will replace worn parts before doing an alignment, a clueless mechanic might align it without doing a thorough inspection, and a crook will tell you that you need everything between the wheels.
I hada pretty good rattle going on in my front end, and with 134K miles and these truck's reputation for under-designed front ends, I wasn't surprised to have to replace all ball joints and the upper bushings. Problem is, there is still a rattle. He said my tie rods were okay so I'm going to have to get under there and check around, but at least I know my wheels aren't ready to fall off (knock on wood).