Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

74 K5 loose steering and wobbly steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default 74 K5 loose steering and wobbly steering wheel

so now that i have most of the engine work done im moving on to other things like the steering. the truck has a lot of play in the steering wheel. for one, i can move the steering wheel around in all directions. it is an adjustable one and that does still move it up and down but after it locks into place it moves all around in all directions.

and when im driving it it has a lot of play in the wheel before i can start turning the thing. im thinking it needs new pitman arms or something like that? it has a new steering stabalizer on it right now and some of the bushings up front are new. so its not all that bad. i think most of the stuff on this is original lol .

Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if your tilt is loose you can google loose chevy steering column and find all sorts of stuff on it. its happened to like every other chevy i owned. its just a matter of taking apart the column and tightening some screws.

as for the steering itself play. best way to find out is have someone sit in the truck and move the wheel back and forth and you lay under the truck and see whats bouncing around under there

Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 AM

thanks bud. i figured if i google searched it would bring up this site right back to some not related topic. but ill give it a shot. thank god i dont need a new steering column.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by litterbug
thanks bud. i figured if i google searched it would bring up this site right back to some not related topic. but ill give it a shot. thank god i dont need a new steering column.
not to jinx you but worse case you might. one k5 blazer i had i let it go for so long that the threads on the screws from getting slammed around so much actually got jacked up which in turn screwed up the holes but that was just happened once. i dont have the article save that i used but basically you just have to take out the turn signal lever and switch and you can get at two of the four screws. just take those out, lock tight them and put them back in. thats what i always do. to do it the RIGHT RIGHT way you have to tear the column down more to get at the other two

Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 AM

that would suck. i know its probably been like this for a while cause the column feels like its not even bolted to the dash anymore. (yes i checked that it is bolted to the dash)