General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Sweet got my first car, but....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Beginning Member
ZigZaggle is on a distinguished road
Default Sweet got my first car, but....

heyy everyone im new here, the name's Jesse and im 18. last night i just got given a beige 98 blazer with 4x4 but it needs some work. it needs an abs cable, ball joint, wheel bearing, new tires, pads and rotors all around and an e-brake cable. now the help is how much do you think these fixes will cost.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Welcome!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:29 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. Most of that you can look on autozone or something to find out the prices tires you should probably figure in 500+ for a nice pair of new tires.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

I'll leave the cost for US guys to reply to. Here it's just too much! LOL

As for the tyres best to get a set - not a pair!

Sorry 84BlazerS10 - I'm sure you meant all 4! Just had to have a dig! LOL

Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member

there are lift kits on autozone? thats my main upgrade besides tires i want but i dont want to spend a fortune on the lift, but then again i have no idea about this 4x4 stuff im usually into cars.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yes I did mean a set of tires and I'm not sure if autozone sells that kinda stuff but for a lift kit you could check out something like LMC or ebay.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Beginning Member
LinkTGF is on a distinguished road

hey man, welcome!

I've got a 1998 blazer too and am fixing it up at the moment. Just recently did the wheel bearings as well. Ran me about 75 bucks for a duralast (I believe) and installed it myself with some help from my uncle. if the ABS sensor you need to replace is on the wheel bearing you also need to replace, you're in luck because the wheel bearings come with an ABS sensor attached.

If you take it in to a shop, you're looking at 200-300 to have it repaired, depending on labor and the parts they use. Pads and rotors is a fairly easy job, if you have a free saturday morning or something and maybe have someone who knows their way around a car, lure them over with breakfast and replace the rotors and pads all around in a few hours. While you're at it, bleed the brakes if you have 2 people there.

I'm saying all this, not knowing what level of expertise you have on car repair. I recently got into it the past 2 months and it's not too difficult to pick up if you have someone to ask questions (even the guys at autozone are pretty helpful!)

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions about your Blazer - I may not know much, but I know how to find the answer!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Beginning Member

It's not the parts that i have questions about then it's the lifting.That's what i plan on doing it would be cool if you knew about it because then i could finally understand it! I want a 2" body lift and shackles and crank the t-bars, but that's after all is fixed and replaced. But i know nothing about this stuff so any help would be great!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a Lifting Tech section on this forum. Find that, and you can read everything you need to know. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Beginning Member
brokenline is on a distinguished road

body lift is easy.. just go buy some bolts, 2" square tubing and thats all you really need other than a welder.. i recently did one this way on a 87 blazer. pm me if you want..

Quick Reply: Sweet got my first car, but....