General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Taking a long road trip alone.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
breezy88 is on a distinguished road
Question Taking a long road trip alone.

Okay fellow blazer lovers. I wanted some opinions. I have a 1988 s10 blazer. Which I love and I am moving to Dallas Texas from South Dakota. I am planning on taking the road trip down there alone in my blazer. The blazer has 206k miles on it and at this point runs well. It has original motor and a new trans( replaced due to overfilling by service techs at local shop) Otherwise I have had no major problems with the motor. I am asking your thoughts on taking a 206k motor on a 1100 mile drive? Also any recommendations other then tune ups and oil change I should check before the trip. Like most I am not wanting to end up stranded somewhere between north and south. Well thanks for any input. Also any questions let me know.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on how confident you are on your blazer. You know its quirks and what not. But assuming its running good and you trust it I would say you'll be ok. But plan for the worst, make sure you have enough funds to cover possible repairs and tow costs. Just my two pennys worth

Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

my brother just took his 89 from toronto to halifax. 1800 kms about twenty hours. only problem he ran into was burned out the fuel pump on the way back because he let the tank get too low. gotta have guts for a trip like that

Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Starting Member
Murphy Mumgart is on a distinguished road

In December i took my 204k mile blazer (original engine and trans) on a 500+ mile trip and it ran like a champ all the way through. A couple days before I left i brought it to my friends shop and had them look the car over to make sure it was good for a long trip. The morning of the trip I noticed that they hadn't checked all my fluids and I was low on power steering fluid, so i had to go fetch some before i left.
Even if you do have a mechanic check it over, i reccomend you go over the basics yourself (fluids, tires,etc.) , and I would even put a big piece of styrofoam under the car after you run it for a bit to do a leak check.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 AM

Its really a question of how well you've taken care of your truck and like I've already said/asked do you trust it to make the trip? If you don't trust it I probably wouldn't make it in that vehicle.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Tugged 2200 pounds through the Rockies from Vancouver to Edmonton last summer with my 93 - 230,000 KM and had no problems. Just make sure you got some money or some room on your VISA and you should be OK if its been running well.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Well thanks for all that people.... I am thinking I should be fine in the vehicle I have enough money too for any thing I should have to cover along the way. I will actually have 2 mechanics look it over before I leave. I will also check myself of course. I was just wanted to know if there was anything in particular you recommended that I check before I leave. But this will really help. I am hoping to make it no prob... hahaha.. ( that is the hope anyway) Well thanks everyone again. If you think of anything else let me know. Otherwise I will hopefully make it. I have a month or so to get everything ironed out.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Id go as far as checking diff fluids too

Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The best recommendation I can give you is to stay in SD and forget about Dallas. This has nothing to with the road worthieness of you truck.

Yes, I do not like the state of Texas. Had the misfortune of living there for the most five miserable years of my life.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM

Oh well I am going for a job.... they have some amazing ambulance services down there. So I need to get there and I really like my blazer and want to take it. So to drive it I will.

Quick Reply: Taking a long road trip alone.