General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Thinking about trading the Rainier

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Just because a mechanic owns it doesntt mean its well taken care of lol. After working on others cars all day the last one you want to work on is your own when you get home sometimes. But as long as it all checks out it might be worth it. Its not like its hard to find parts for a 5.3 if need be.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I wanted to add that I think a Tahoe 4x4 is a good choice. I like the Tahoe & gas mileage isn't that bad from the guys I know that have them. Also one thing I was told by a shop I do business with is that the newer 5.3L engines are developing lower end knocks. If they are going to present problems when they get lots of miles has not been decided. Lots of miles were told to me as 150,000+. Now not all are having an issue but there is a possible problem in the works with the 5.3L Chevys.
Why I got this is most of these newer vehicles have what I call built in problems. I was looking at a Tahoe awhile back before I bought our Jeep & when I went to the shop that did some of my work I was warned about this.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

$14k here for the mileage and condition of the truck is quite reasonable. My wife looked up KBB into here business account and it came up as retail sale $16k with all of the options plugged in. I also did some searching through other dealer websites, etc and the pricing that was out there for these trucks with similar options was anywhere from $14k with higher miles and $24k with really low miles.

Problems with the 5.3L... I have worked on many of them and other than problematic knock sensors and exhaust manifold bolts, the heads on down are rock solid IMO. A review of the TSB's out there for this year/model don't show many really major problems. Besides, if anything does go wrong, it'll just give me an excuse to build it up bigger & better.

As far as the mechanic owning it goes. The guy walked me through all of the stuff that had been done to it. I haven't looked through it all, but there is a folder of paperwork on what has been done to the truck. It appears that he was as meticulous as I am when it comes to repairs and records.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Nemo1991 is on a distinguished road

too bad you dont live near toledo, the dealership i work at has an 04 z71 tahoe thats silver/pewter with 112k for just under 12 grand

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Nemo1991
too bad you dont live near toledo, the dealership i work at has an 04 z71 tahoe thats silver/pewter with 112k for just under 12 grand
That is what I would think as much more reasonable. My question on a SUV with 121,000 miles why has there been all that much work done. I have never owned a new vehicle that I bought new that needed much of anything in the first 100,000 miles. That in it self would cause me to be suspect of it. Heck our Blazer with a 151,000 mile has original shocks, rear brakes, ball joints, & hoses.
Kyle, it seems like you have made your decision. So you might as well go sign the papers.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What work are you talking about...? What do you think is unreasonable about what is listed above for work?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What work are you talking about...? What do you think is unreasonable about what is listed above for work?
I agree with Kyle... I consider stuff like oil changes and the like as "work" and if you do all this and keep the truck well maintained you should have lengthy records.... Plus, it helps buyers know what kinda driver/person you are.....

Old 10-20-2010, 01:50 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Good choice Kyle.

I've been drooling over this one for a while. This is ex USA hence miles as opposed to km's. The RHD is a local conversion.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-324970916.htm

Of course the chrome wheels would have to go! LOL

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 10-20-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: extra comment.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I was looking at post #6. Brakes, backing plates, cooler lines, & tie rod ends. I have owned several NEW vehicles in my day & all I ever had to do in first 100,000 or so miles was maybe plugs other than service work.
Then you mentioned step boards being soft on one side. Again I just feel it is TOO MUCH MONEY for what there is. Your paying close to retail for a EXCELLENT vehicle that Kelly Blue Book says only 5% of the vehicles far into that class.
I'm an old retired mechanic, it maybe a very good vehicle, but then again maybe not. But it is your decision. I'm only giving my opinion & what I think if I was looking for a newer Tahoe. I agree with the post of the Tahoe for under $12 grand as a start point. That seems more in the ball park if I was looking. I could pay cash for either.
Just my two cents. I always try to help the younger guys that ask for opinions to get the best deal possible for the best vehicle. I've even been willing to go with them to buy. A few have been thankful I went because they got a much better deal.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you have been quite lucky and live in an area where these vehicles are plentiful/cheap and/or the environment isn't as harsh; neither of which applies to the area in which I live. Thank you for your opinion just the same.

I just looked it up again. Going in through the regular KBB website and not through my wife's business site; retail for an excellent condition vehicle with the applicable options is $16,690. I would classify this truck as above average in mechanical condition and maybe around average for the physical condition (something which will be quickly, cheaply, and easily remedied). So based on that, what the dealer was originally asking seems like the appropriate retail value.

About the work that had been done. Backing plates are a typical issue on many different GM models s-series included, even more so in the salt belt (had to replace them on my '00 Bravada at 76k miles). So are cooler lines where the hard line crimps to the rubber line at the flex joints (s-series oil cooler lines anyone...). Brakes at 120k, nothing out of the ordinary there either.

Working on GM vehicles for friends/family/co-workers/etc as I do gives me broad experience with them. With that and the resources I have available to me, all of the concerns I have mentioned can be repaired in a weekend or two for ~$100 if I apply myself. If I could get my new air compressor installed, I'd be able to do even more myself and not have to rely on friends to help out.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading the Rainier