General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Thinking about trading the Rainier

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the deal is done. I picked it up last night. I talked them down another $750.

I used the spongy steps and the rusted bumper as the main leverage, but added a few other things that I noticed while driving the truck & further inspections. I found a broken exhaust manifold bolt (common on these trucks - I had just finished doing this job on my dad's '04 K2500HD w/ the 6.0L LS based engine so I was well aware of the work required). The 3rd brake light wasn't working either which I thought may be required to pass inspection, but on the truck chassis, it is not.

Got the truck home and today was the assessment of the true causes for the things I used as leverage. Here's the run down of the problem, cause, and the cost in dollars & time for the repairs I was able to get done:

- Spongy side steps --> missing/corroded aluminum rivets. $9 for a box of 25 from NAPA. 40 minutes later I had used 24 of the rivets. Under the plastic lower trim, the rockers were in perfect condition! The steps are now rock solid!
- Broken exhaust manifold bolt --> 2 hrs and $1.32 each x 12 (~$17 after tax) to replace all of them. I was able to drill the one broken bolt and extract it without pulling the manifold so I didn't have to replace the gasket as there was no leak. No other bolts broke in the process. Dealer quoted $150 for one bolt, $250 minimum for all 12.
- Rattle in head liner over driver seat --> reinforcement came loose from adhesive - 10 minutes and two dollops of liquid nails from an already open tube, no more rattle.
- Inoperative CHMSL - power & ground to the light when the brakes are activated - light shot. $50 for a Dorman replacement. 10 minutes to diagnose today and 5 minutes to replace when the new one gets here.

I still have the bumper to do, but I have called up my steel supplier and they will sand blast it for $30. My paint guy charges me materials only so that will be negligible as well. Likely $50 total blasted & painted. Dealer body shop quoted $300.

I will probably replace the turn signal lenses as well because they have moisture in them and are cloudy on the inside. So another $30 there.

So far:
Total time - 3hrs
Total cost - $76 (not including the bumper or replacement turn signal lenses - $80 more)

All in all, I am extremely happy with this purchase! Next weekend I will see how it handles the camper when I put it into storage.

*EDIT* - Pictures:

Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Well, the deal is done. I picked it up last night. I talked them down another $750.

I used the spongy steps and the rusted bumper as the main leverage, but added a few other things that I noticed while driving the truck & further inspections. I found a broken exhaust manifold bolt (common on these trucks - I had just finished doing this job on my dad's '04 K2500HD w/ the 6.0L LS based engine so I was well aware of the work required). The 3rd brake light wasn't working either which I thought may be required to pass inspection, but on the truck chassis, it is not.

Got the truck home and today was the assessment of the true causes for the things I used as leverage. Here's the run down of the problem, cause, and the cost in dollars & time for the repairs I was able to get done:

- Spongy side steps --> missing/corroded aluminum rivets. $9 for a box of 25 from NAPA. 40 minutes later I had used 24 of the rivets. Under the plastic lower trim, the rockers were in perfect condition! The steps are now rock solid!
- Broken exhaust manifold bolt --> 2 hrs and $1.32 each x 12 (~$17 after tax) to replace all of them. I was able to drill the one broken bolt and extract it without pulling the manifold so I didn't have to replace the gasket as there was no leak. No other bolts broke in the process. Dealer quoted $150 for one bolt, $250 minimum for all 12.
- Rattle in head liner over driver seat --> reinforcement came loose from adhesive - 10 minutes and two dollops of liquid nails from an already open tube, no more rattle.
- Inoperative CHMSL - power & ground to the light when the brakes are activated - light shot. $50 for a Dorman replacement. 10 minutes to diagnose today and 5 minutes to replace when the new one gets here.

I still have the bumper to do, but I have called up my steel supplier and they will sand blast it for $30. My paint guy charges me materials only so that will be negligible as well. Likely $50 total blasted & painted. Dealer body shop quoted $300.

I will probably replace the turn signal lenses as well because they have moisture in them and are cloudy on the inside. So another $30 there.

So far:
Total time - 3hrs
Total cost - $76 (not including the bumper or replacement turn signal lenses - $80 more)

All in all, I am extremely happy with this purchase! Next weekend I will see how it handles the camper when I put it into storage.

*EDIT* - Pictures:
take some windshield wiper spray and dump it in the lense. then slosh it around. alot of times that will dry up the moister

Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blueblazer1982
take some windshield wiper spray and dump it in the lense. then slosh it around. alot of times that will dry up the moister
I'll give that a try. May clean up the cloudy-ness as well.

If not, clear replacements are cheap.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!

NEW SIG TIME!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Yes, it is new sig time!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Something that cleans lens is that Orange hand cleaner. It has a pumice type stuff in it. But when you rub it on the lens it buffs them out. I was amazed when I saw a friend of mine that owns a garage use that. Talk about a cheap fix.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

IMO mileage ehhh yeah so so, thats a concern but not huge depending on warrenty & previous owner

few chips here n there & rust starting on the under carraige? undercoating etc & its taken care of for years to come & a bumper/paint - not huge

spongy running board? they may not be what you prefer anyway & not an expensive fix

not reading through ALL the reply's you've had I may be beating a dead horse here, but my thoughts all the same... plus the ... how much do I REALLY want it?... can you wait for a better mileage vehicle? Do you want to or can get carried away with (as the gf says) boys & their toys & try to justify it to the Mrs?

I made her believe (& it's true to a point) that the supercharger I got today is good for mileage & it is, or could be... if I stay off the carpet with the peddle lol.
But a secure vehicle towing in winds & conditions is an honest & safe upgrade! <--no BS about it

Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

wow I was late... wtg Kyle, inexpencive fixes & now a solid hauler for family & a sweet DD!
Is that a medium garnet red metallic? or w/e GM calls it, not the victory red. I tried that on my hood & it looked like my truck had measels lol

Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Administrator

The paint code is 63U which from compnine comes out as sport red. Looks the same as the medium garnet red metallic on my wife's Malibu.

I have been looking at these trucks (04-06) for almost 2 years now, but it wasn't until after I bought my new camper that it really became more of a need than want. Low miles = ridiculously high cost around here. This was the first reasonably priced one I have seen out of 20+ trucks I have looked at and/or driven and it drives just as smooth as the trucks with 80k less miles.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
it drives just as smooth as the trucks with 80k less miles.
All about that maintenance!!!!!

Funny stuff is the people who garage their cars and dont drive them..
Its like buying a hooker just to look at her.... Whats the point?

(best metaphor I could come up with)

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading the Rainier