General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Thoughts about 2001 ZR2 build needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:47 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts about 2001 ZR2 build needed

We all have those friends that ask us to help them we say yes even if we shouldn't. My dilemma is that he bought a '51 Land Rover in Oregon. It runs and he would like to return to Denver without using the highways over about 8 days.

I have a 2001 ZR2 project that I would like to take and would like some input on what I should check.

It's got 203,000 miles on it and was purchased from a tow lot auction.

I am in the middle of changing the Y pipe and Cats to the Magnaflow version and will get a Gibson exhaust soon. I have to finish working thru the air injection system have found one bad check valve but everything checks good..

I have changed the LIM gasket and given it a fresh set of plugs, wires and cap and rotor.

The radiator is new as the old one have many bent fins from the previous owners.

My question is before I put 2400 miles with about 1200 being unpaved roads and trails. on it what should I look at?

The trans will serviced and the tires replaced.

If it helps it has a Specter CAI and Pacesetter headers. Just replaced the gaskets and installed Stage 8 header bolts with clips.

Thanks in advance...just looking to benefit from the experience of others

Old 03-03-2018, 01:26 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2
We all have those friends that ask us to help them we say yes even if we shouldn't. My dilemma is that he bought a '51 Land Rover in Oregon. It runs and he would like to return to Denver without using the highways over about 8 days.

I have a 2001 ZR2 project that I would like to take and would like some input on what I should check.

It's got 203,000 miles on it and was purchased from a tow lot auction.

I am in the middle of changing the Y pipe and Cats to the Magnaflow version and will get a Gibson exhaust soon. I have to finish working thru the air injection system have found one bad check valve but everything checks good..

I have changed the LIM gasket and given it a fresh set of plugs, wires and cap and rotor.

The radiator is new as the old one have many bent fins from the previous owners.

My question is before I put 2400 miles with about 1200 being unpaved roads and trails. on it what should I look at?

The trans will serviced and the tires replaced.

If it helps it has a Specter CAI and Pacesetter headers. Just replaced the gaskets and installed Stage 8 header bolts with clips.

Thanks in advance...just looking to benefit from the experience of others
From being on this forum actively for the last couple years, the only thing that I ever learned that spooked me was the LIM gaskets. Almost as soon I as understood how they could fail catastrophically, I replaced them. So you are good on that.

Unless transmission is about to fail, I would think everything else that could fail would give you some warning.

Here are some thoughts that come to me; mostly while thinking about what I would consider with a truck that was new to me with an unknown maintenance history:
  • I'm guessing you likely checked the front end components. If not do that. Don't forget the wheel bushings.
  • You might also inspect the brakes and look for any leaks or if the pads are bad.
  • While you are at it, check the shocks for leaks.
  • Make sure the power steering is topped off. Later you should flush it. It is easy to do.
  • Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but to prevent premature fuel pump burnout it helps to not let the fuel level get too low. E.g. never go below 1/4 and especially E even though there is a few gallons left.
  • Bring a spare serpentine belt and of course some tools. I got a feeling you are the type to bring tools in your rig.
  • Inspect all of the coolant hoses and their clamps if you have not done so already.
  • Have the charging system checked.
  • Replace all the fluids in the axles and in the transfer case. This will also tell you the condition of the axles.
BTW, people will say that replacing the fluid and filter on an old transmission can accelerate it failing. The 3/4 clutch plates failing/slipping seems to pop up now and then. I'm not quite convinced of this myself. Perhaps someone with more experience will comment on this.

Final advice: Have fun!

Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks Christine you are hitting on the points I am seeing.

I forgot to mention two things. The power steering pump was replaced shortly after I corrected the belt routing. They did a A/C removal and failed to look at the sticker on fan shroud. I added an idler pulley and found the bearing in the power steering pump was so bad that it would throw the belt. Turns out they didn't put back in the 3 bolts that hold it to the bracket. I made the same mistake they did and tightened up the back bracket nuts. I loosened them up and found I could put back in the bolts to the front bracket.

When I did the LIM and radiator I replaced the hoses since the coolant had oil in it.. Which I know will attack the rubber so instead of finding myself on the side of the road I replaced them.

The reason I am having the trans serviced is appears the trans has been changed out. I found a significant leak at the radiator connection. Apparently teflon tape and force can seal the line for a while. I prefer to use the clip as I am that ****.

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2

The reason I am having the trans serviced is appears the trans has been changed out. I found a significant leak at the radiator connection. Apparently teflon tape and force can seal the line for a while. I prefer to use the clip as I am that ****.

Thanks again for the reply.
You are very welcome.

Your leak of the tranny fluid at the radiator was a good one to address. I totally agree that the use of telfon tape for the connections is not a good fix. That could have been a catastrophic failure too!

Your description of that reminded me of when I had decided to have the truck serviced at a local GM dealer and noticed while they had the truck up that although they were supposed to do a transmission flush they had missed that one of the metal transmission cooling lines had almost worn through where it was vibrating/bouncing against a sharp corner on the idler arm bracket. I was pretty pissed that they had not caught that. (I have since put on a piece of hose over that section of tubing to protect it.)

That find, along with other disappointing work associated with that dealer had me realize that as much as I had hoped to put the years of breaking fingernails or at least getting grease under my fingernails behind me, if I wanted something done right, I'd have to do it myself! LOL

Have fun on your trip!