General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

the time has come to make a decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Chenzo is on a distinguished road
Default the time has come to make a decision

With 240,000 miles, its only a matter of time before the 4.3 dies. So now i must decide, rebuild the 4.3 tbi with minor upgrades (cam and such) or go to a carbed 350?

its a 1992 s10 blazer 4x4 4dr with 4.3 tbi stock and 700r4 trans

any tips ideas thoughts or emotions on this topic are welcome

Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

Why is the time now to decide?
Is the motor knocking, burning a quart every 200 miles ?
JMO, save yer $$ awhile, if it's not.
My 92 Sonoma has 210k on it & it will 1 wheel peel for a 1/2 block.
Who knows though, mine might let go tomorrow.

Last edited by Verno; 01-04-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: info
Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM

It burns some oil if it sets for a couple hours, was told valve seals. And i cant just do the seals because it'll blow something else out on the bottom end. I've always been told, if you rebuild the top, rebuild the bottom too and save yourself the headache.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Someone informed you wrong, when I got my Sonoma, upon start up it smoked so bad that it looked like you should call the fire department, lol.
So I thought about putting in high mileage oil, for valve seals, then I said hell with it, pulled the covers, come to find out ALL the seals were gone, burned up.
No oil was gonna fix this one.
Replaced them with the umbrella style seals, runs like a champ, if the rod bearings are good, don't even worry about it.
New valve seals on top, you should be good to go.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM

how long has it been since you've replaced them? this is a daily driver so i was planning on doing this engine work over this summer. wanted to start getting info now.

so what your telling me is that this isnt a good excuse to tear it all apart and 'accidentally' throw some performance parts in her? i had planned on doing some cleaning and painting and neatening up under the hood while it was all out as well..

Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Replacing valve seals is rather easy, especially if you have access to an air compressor. Cheap too even after buying tools to do it!

With an air compressor, you need to make up an adapter to connect your air line to the spark plug hole. You will also need a valve spring compressor (I have one similar to THIS for head-on-vehicle type service, but there are others available). After that, just regular hand tools (sockets, extensions, torque wrench, etc).

For the adapter, you can either buy them or make one yourself by taking an old spark plug, breaking out the porcelain center leaving just the threaded hex end, and welding the appropriate air fitting to it in order to couple to your air hose.

With out an air compressor it can be difficult to keep the valves up in the heads during the spring/retainer/lock removal & installation process.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM

I replaced the seals myself probably 30k ago or so no problems.
I just used the valve spring compressor, with the help of a buddy, no air compressor.
But listen to swartllk he knows his sh-t.
Mines my DD to work, get in it everyday.

Last edited by Verno; 01-04-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: mohr info
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM

Im about to finish up highschool (one more year) then off to college. I was going to do it this summer so i had the whole year to work out any kinks and then id have a reliable vehicle to go to college, no car payment, and a car i know well. I dont want to head off without a rebuild, whether its the v6 or v8. As far as the seals go, i may as well wait until rebuild. Im pricing out and looking at which would be better, the v6 or v8. That's why i wanted opinions. The smoke isnt quite bad enough to call the fire department so should I even worry about it yet?