General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
JRob238 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mczuk
I was mainly talking about braking, too many people think they are invincible because they drive a 4 wheel drive. I've driven a 2 wheel drive place 4x4's got stuck and I've been stuck in 4 wheel and had a 2 wheel drive go through the same hole and not have any problems. I think if you think ahead and take it easy there shouldn't be a problems.
I'll say I will belive you. But I, personally, have never seen a 2wd vehicle make it anywhere a 4X4 gets stuck. But hey with the right driver I guess it could happen.

I agree 4x4 does not make you invincible, but if used correctly it can help you brake, accelerate, and stay on the road.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member
chesthing is on a distinguished road

I always carry a set of chains in my 2wd Astro van. I occassionally do service work in the mountains, and just to get up driveways sometimes I need to put them on, i probably use them 2-3 times/year. More than once my butt has been saved by having them with me. They take a few minutes to put on, but that beats the heck out of waiting for someone to come help, especially in areas where my cell doesn't get service.
You have to drive very slowly, but you will move in pretty much any road conditions.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

15 mph in 4lo vs 15 mph in wid eopen..... of course you will stop faster in 4 lo since it will be wound the F out to get you to 15 and praying to god you will stop anyway

stopping in 4wd on ice is no different than stopping in 2wd on ice. all 4 wheels have brakes all four brakes engage the same, the only difference is: you feel more confident in 4wd.

thats why slow down and leave more of a coushin <-- is ice driving advice, not get 4wd engage it and game over because, You: 1, Ice: 0 FTW!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The_Beast
That's not true, you can slide with 4x4 just as easy. Going down my driveway, which is a ice rink on weekends *sarcasm* , is just as bad 2wd or 4wd. But it's really nice to have 4wd in the winter in Wisconsin
4 wheel drive will only help you get going, it doesn't matter what you have when trying to stop. Like everyone else said, take it easy and be careful going into intersections.
Both very true. You still need to be careful taking off though, I've actually hit the gas and started going sideways in 4wd, with my winters on.

Originally Posted by JRob238
I disagree slightly. You have more tractrion with 4wd it will not slide just as easy a 2wd.
[...]
You have to know to use your 4x4 to appreiciate it for what its worth. Sure alot of people know how to engage it but do you really know whats going on in your transfercase?
I was mainly talking about braking, too many people think they are invincible because they drive a 4 wheel drive. I've driven a 2 wheel drive place 4x4's got stuck and I've been stuck in 4 wheel and had a 2 wheel drive go through the same hole and not have any problems. I think if you think ahead and take it easy there shouldn't be a problems.
IMO, 4x4 will only help with engine braking, most effective with stick (like mine!)... but braking on ice is braking on ice, 4x4 or 2wd.

Sometimes I'll get a little headstrong in 30cm's of snow (do the conversion) but when I start getting up to speed I'll make sure I have that ridiculous space cushion. When I see the traffic 100 yards in front of me slowing down I start slowing down WAAAY early, knowing I can't stop on a dime has saved me from any close calls, in fact the only close call I've ever had was someone in a 2wd pickup almost drifting into me. (Blazers seem to have invisible clearcoat).

The other thing that you NEED to watch out with 4x4 on salted roads is making a left (right for Kiwi's) at an intersection... I've had it happen to me once coming out of the school parking lot, I was in 4hi and on the throttle turning left, the front wheels grabbed some dry pavement and swung the *** of my truck around. Of course the rear wheels caught traction in the gravel of the shoulder when this happened and flung the truck the other way (I was correcting at this point too.) The front end was now pointing at the rock cut and I frantically corrected and got traction again (I'm off the throttle at this point too... go figure.) I swear I got up on two wheels. But I'm still in one piece and Learned my lesson... 4x4 is great for agressive Straight line starts and keeping the back wheels behind the front wheels when you're driving down the road.

Don't think that 4x4 gives you super traction and you can take those 34mph corners like on dry pavement... you'll be doing 15mph instead or you'll be in the ditch or someone's driverside door (like a blue 4x4x4 with an ugly grille's door)

Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran

Pat: Alex is a 2 dr.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:09 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
*snip*
You're a bad Canadian, using metric (30 Cm) and then imperial (100 yards)

Go sit in the corner, hehe

Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran

Get em Beast!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Yeah well it was an easy conversion... "About a football field in length..." lmao... Honestly, mph gives me a better feel of how fast something is than km's...

REason? I've been snowmobiling since I could walk, and American made sleds run speedos and odo's with mph and miles on them...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran

canadian football, futbol, or Uhmeriken Football field? (sound it out....)

Good old america, infecting the world one sled at a time!
U
S
A
!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
Pat: Alex is a 2 dr.

i thought he was talking about you Curtis.

Quick Reply: tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice