General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Toyotoathon Commercials??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 PM
dist6blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Toyotoathon Commercials??

Besides, Toyota is being patriotic? Why is it only Americans can be patriotic?
toyota is not being patriotic.. yes they bring jobs into the US but the money they get for their cars and trucks goes right back to Japan (the worlds 3rd largest ecoomy and growing) sooner or later china and japan are going to overtake us as the worlds largest economy and we wont be the top dogs anymore

Old 12-18-2007, 04:36 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: Idriveachevy

I agree, although my cousin had terrible luck with his nissan, but it was an altima not a truck. two stock motors blown.
Nissan's stock 4 bangers are pretty much poop, well the old ones' were. Nissan has come a long way in there developement. I used to have a '99 nissan maxima that I built with the factory 3.0 v6 and it was pretty reliable even stock but yes the old 4 bangers did have alot of problems.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's off-topic, but I gotta address the WWII issue. Somebody else already said it, but let's not forget about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Remember that the U.S. is the only country in the world that ever nuked anybody, and we killed thousands of civilians when we did it. And THEN we hauled hundreds of innocent Japanese-Americans into concentration camps that amounted to prisons in California. How patriotic is that? To be honest, I'm surprised that the Japanese haven't held a much bigger grudge against us, and I can't blame them for opting instead to beat us in business. If we let 'em, then it's nobody's fault but our own.

I also can't help but respect anybody that's willing to fly a plane directly into an enemy's base, sacrificing his own life in the process, for the sake of his country -- just as I also greatly respect our own soldiers who are willing to give their lives on the premise of a war that was based on lies. War sucks all around for everybody that's involved, and I hope for a day when all humankind realizes that it's a waste and unnecessary.

As for the Iraqi guy that bragged about how many camels his dad has -- since I wasn't there when he said it, I don't know what his intention was in saying it. He could have been using self-deprecating humor to lighten people up around him. But if they didn't get the joke, they could have easily misinterpreted his intention. On the other hand, maybe he was just an idiot. Who knows...

But back to the main topic...I also agree that those commercials endorse insurance fraud. My wife and I joke about it every time they come on. It does **** me off a little that they use GM trucks in their bashing sequences, but remember -- that's business. Companies have been bashing other companies in advertising for centuries. It's capitalism. What matters most is how we, the consumers, feel about the products. We buy what we want, based upon our own experiences. I just keep in mind that every company is biased, because they want you to buy their stuff and not the other guy's.

I'm also very partial to Nissans and Chevys. I love Nissans because I had a Maxima and I loved it. If it hadn't been totalled last year, I'd still be driving it. I don't like Toyotas or Hondas, because they are overrated, and they jack the prices because consumers are convinced they're so great. I think they're ugly and boring cars, for the most part. However, I do also like the Mitsubishi Lancer, especially the Evo (which I can't afford). One of my buddies has one. In fact, I sold him the wheels from my Maxima, which fit his car perfectly! How weird is that?

I love Chevys because (IMO) GM is the best of the American Big Three, and Chevy is the most affordable. Since most GMs are the same under the hood across brands, why not just get the one that costs the least?

However, I do like the Dodge Dakota pickup, but not the current body style. I like the previous one, 2001-04 (I think). It's probably the only Chrysler I'd buy right now.

I think this was a great topic, because it makes people think. I hope my post wasn't too long!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM
dist6blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

very good point and very well put.. the one point i do disagree with you.. the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were last resort we could have continued fighting and lost thousands more american soldiers i feel the administration did the right thing knocking out the major military manufacturers in those citie.. and yes it would be nice to see war ended for ever but you have to realize with these idiots we have in the middle east that is a longshot..

Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Well as a previous service member that did serve this country for 4 yrs of active duty, my opinion on the whole middle east situation is this, I have been over there twice on two deployments and to tell everyone exactly what they told me we don't want the u.s. here to help us go home!! I just believe we stick our noses into more crap we don't belong in more times than any! My side of the situation bomb all those (insert special choice words here) for what they did to us!!! Sorry just added my two cents on that subject, I have been going through memory lane again.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here is my two cents on the toyota trucks, and heck on the nissans and domesticstoo (ill spare the honda truck-like thingas i have strong emotions against that vehicle).

First who was the brain child that designed the new Tundras? The nose looks stubby, the cab looks disproportionate, and the taillights are f'ugly. Granted some people like this new look but it makes me turn green when i see it. The other thing that i found unsettling was the transmissions in the new tundra. Addmittedly i was excited to see a 6 speed auto in a tundra possibly hinting at good mileagebut after seeing my buddy chew up 3 of them in 20k miles, im not soo keen on those anymore.

Now the nissan. They dont look that bad. They arent great IMHObut it does resemble the essence of a truck. I'll also give them credit for using a large V8 in their trucks, problem is it has no low end grunt. I had to use one for pulling stumps and i just gave up on the truck after about 25 minutes of nothing. I grabbed my grandpa's 87 silverado with a 350 in it and didnt have a problem. Now however it does redeem itself on the highway as it seems that much of the power is at the higher revs so if you gotta lay the hammer down to pass someone you got plenty of ponysavailable to do so.

I suppose while on the subject, though a little off topic hes my feeling on the ford's, dodge's, and chevy's.

Ford, never liked them, probably never will (im a chevy guy what can i say) but i will say that they have had some decent designs in recent years.....until this year. Copying a page from the colorado the turn signals are now above the headlights....at least on the work trucks anyway. It looks terrible and i have never liked that design, even when the colorado had it. Other than that, fords are livable if ya had to, i just dont like workin on em as ive fixed too many.

Dodge.......well the hemi is overrated (sounds neat but not a serious pavement pounder), the smaller 318 is garbage, and i miss the old mid 90's look to them. Redeeming factor is the cummins diesel which is a monster.Other than that, still a decent truck and if i had to i would drive one.

Chevy, what have you done to the full size trucks?!?!?! The new front end on the silverados is.....different to say the least. I cant say that i like it much. Honestly i wish they put the front end of the avalanche on it as that looks much nicer and much cleaner (less chrome too, a little is ok but a lot gets kinda scary). That and the new fenders that bulge out look silly. On a lifted silverado they might be ok but factory it looks wrong. Interior wise, im still getting used to it but honestly i loved the interior of the previous generation(as well as the exterior for that matter) so i guess im just reluctant to change. Motor wise, i absolutely love the 5.3L in the newer silverados. The displacement on demand is great and on my Dad's 07 Silverado classic (previous gen look but its technically new) we get an average of 19-21 city and best we got on highway was an average of26. Not bad for an extended cab short box with a V8. Best of all its got lots of low end grunt and on the highway if you need those extra cylinders on its instant and you best hang on.

Anywho, like i said this is just my two cents. Some of you probably wont agree with everything i say but this is my personal experience so take it as you will.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: RCars2

Well here is my two cents on the toyota trucks, and heck on the nissans and domesticstoo (ill spare the honda truck-like thingas i have strong emotions against that vehicle).

First who was the brain child that designed the new Tundras? The nose looks stubby, the cab looks disproportionate, and the taillights are f'ugly. Granted some people like this new look but it makes me turn green when i see it. The other thing that i found unsettling was the transmissions in the new tundra. Addmittedly i was excited to see a 6 speed auto in a tundra possibly hinting at good mileagebut after seeing my buddy chew up 3 of them in 20k miles, im not soo keen on those anymore.

Now the nissan. They dont look that bad. They arent great IMHObut it does resemble the essence of a truck. I'll also give them credit for using a large V8 in their trucks, problem is it has no low end grunt. I had to use one for pulling stumps and i just gave up on the truck after about 25 minutes of nothing. I grabbed my grandpa's 87 silverado with a 350 in it and didnt have a problem. Now however it does redeem itself on the highway as it seems that much of the power is at the higher revs so if you gotta lay the hammer down to pass someone you got plenty of ponysavailable to do so.

I suppose while on the subject, though a little off topic hes my feeling on the ford's, dodge's, and chevy's.

Ford, never liked them, probably never will (im a chevy guy what can i say) but i will say that they have had some decent designs in recent years.....until this year. Copying a page from the colorado the turn signals are now above the headlights....at least on the work trucks anyway. It looks terrible and i have never liked that design, even when the colorado had it. Other than that, fords are livable if ya had to, i just dont like workin on em as ive fixed too many.

Dodge.......well the hemi is overrated (sounds neat but not a serious pavement pounder), the smaller 318 is garbage, and i miss the old mid 90's look to them. Redeeming factor is the cummins diesel which is a monster.Other than that, still a decent truck and if i had to i would drive one.

Chevy, what have you done to the full size trucks?!?!?! The new front end on the silverados is.....different to say the least. I cant say that i like it much. Honestly i wish they put the front end of the avalanche on it as that looks much nicer and much cleaner (less chrome too, a little is ok but a lot gets kinda scary). That and the new fenders that bulge out look silly. On a lifted silverado they might be ok but factory it looks wrong. Interior wise, im still getting used to it but honestly i loved the interior of the previous generation(as well as the exterior for that matter) so i guess im just reluctant to change. Motor wise, i absolutely love the 5.3L in the newer silverados. The displacement on demand is great and on my Dad's 07 Silverado classic (previous gen look but its technically new) we get an average of 19-21 city and best we got on highway was an average of26. Not bad for an extended cab short box with a V8. Best of all its got lots of low end grunt and on the highway if you need those extra cylinders on its instant and you best hang on.

Anywho, like i said this is just my two cents. Some of you probably wont agree with everything i say but this is my personal experience so take it as you will.
word.

that honda truck car is the worstthing ever

Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 PM
bitbandit is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Idriveachevy

Its not polution, its horsepower.
if it don't blow black take it back

Old 12-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Starting Member
fla_blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

alot of toyotas are made in america tho i am a member on the toyota forum yotatech they really are good suvs as well as trucks but its 50 50 there are good things yotas have and some not so good. i think if i didint have a chevy i would rather have a toyota.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: dist6blazer

Besides, Toyota is being patriotic? Why is it only Americans can be patriotic?
toyota is not being patriotic.. yes they bring jobs into the US but the money they get for their cars and trucks goes right back to Japan (the worlds 3rd largest ecoomy and growing) sooner or later china and japan are going to overtake us as the worlds largest economy and we wont be the top dogs anymore
As you mentioned, Toyota is a Japanese company... Why shouldn't they be patriotic to Japan? Anyone that's patriotic has to support the US? They're not allowed to believe or want the success of their own country/economy? What kind of twisted logic is that?

Being patriotic means you're supporting YOUR OWN country, not the USA.

Quick Reply: Toyotoathon Commercials??