General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:23 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Trailer wiring

Class II
Class II hitches are weight carrying (WC) hitches rated up to 3500 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 300 lbs. This style of hitch typically uses a 1-1/4" square receiver opening. The use of a drawbar and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required. Class II hitches normally attach to the vehicle frame and or bumper. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating.

According to the Draw-Tite website...
That's 400lbs away from my maximum tow rating! lol

Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

ORIGINAL: drperry

You'd need a brake controller... And you'll only have the brake controller wire going under the dash if you have the towing package, I believe.

Also, the orange wire is only there if you have the towing/trailer package...

The hitch should have its weight ratings on it somewhere...

For that amount of weight, you should be good... But I'd double check.
I believe the orange, purple, and blue wires are only there if you have a tow package... but not positive.... If you have the tow package you should not have any loose wires under the dash.. just a nice little premade harness that plugs into the brake controller and into a plug under the dash.

also, if you have an automatic, your tow capacity is a bit more than the manual blazers..

Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I know for sure the non-tow packaged does NOT have the orange wire
I have a spool of 10 guage wire I need to run to the back of my truck when I get a chance...

The manual Blazer's got screwed towing wise... 3900lbs for the loss, lol.

I'm almost 100% certain that it's the clutch that limits it, though... The 1/2 ton 4.3L with the 5 speed can tow 4100lbs... And yes, that's the NV3500 in there too

For the 5-speed Blazer's it's either the clutch or the transmission... The autos have the same tranfser case, so that rules that out... and the 5-speeds get the 8.5" ( same size as the 1/2 ton ) rear diff (iron up front, instead of aluminum, for the 4x4s)

When I snag myself a nice trailer, and a quad, I'll be sure to post up the effects of hauling 2 - 3 quads in an enclosed 16 - 18 foot trailer

Old 03-22-2008, 01:05 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: a_tack

ORIGINAL: drperry

You'd need a brake controller... And you'll only have the brake controller wire going under the dash if you have the towing package, I believe.

Also, the orange wire is only there if you have the towing/trailer package...

The hitch should have its weight ratings on it somewhere...

For that amount of weight, you should be good... But I'd double check.
I believe the orange, purple, and blue wires are only there if you have a tow package... but not positive.... If you have the tow package you should not have any loose wires under the dash.. just a nice little premade harness that plugs into the brake controller and into a plug under the dash.

also, if you have an automatic, your tow capacity is a bit more than the manual blazers..
On my 97 Blazer 4x4 I believe the reciever which is a 2" is factory. I see a bundle of wires dead ended with a GM tag with #s wrapped around the harness. I haven't looked to see how many wires are in it.
My question is, where under the dash can I find a harness for the Brake controller?
Thanks,
Craig

Old 03-22-2008, 01:21 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

I will have to look under my dash in the morning. I believe it is just a plug kinda like the one you check your computer codes from (like the pickups) but im not positive.. I run a flat 4 setup because I dont have a trailer with brakes..

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I talked to the previous owner yesterday, and he did have a class three hitch installed by the dealer. For some reason I thought it was a class 2.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

as long as it is a 2" reciever it is at least a class 3... class 2 is a 1 1/4" reciever..

Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 AM
BF Veteran

Aaron, you should crawl under your truck and check the guage of the brake controller wire

Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM

haha... we'll work on that... i think its like a 12 or 14 ... not positive tho.. ill have to check.. I know its a bit thicker than the others..

Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point

The red, blue and white wires are 12 or 10 gauge at the bumper end. Yellow, green and brown are 16 or 18. There's a light green and light blue wire I'm clueless about. I know all I need are the yellow, green, brown and white for the 4 pin.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring