General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Trick to open back window

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 01:04 PM
Juggalonmd is on a distinguished road
Default Trick to open back window

I may have missed the thread and if I did can someone send me the link. The other day I had to do an emergency roadside greasing on one of my wheel bearings. After I was done and put my tools away in back I failed to notice tailgate wasn't shut all the way and closed the window. Then went to open back up again and ended up breaking the lock cylinder on tailgate.... Long story short was able to get it all secure until I could get a new lock but now I can't get the cover off the tailgate to fix it. Anyone know a way to get window to pop open so I can fix the lock. Hope all is well.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:27 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Depending on year and model the Blazer has an electrical release with a solenoid.
Else I think it would mean crawl into the back and remove the lining to access the lock.

Not clear what you meant with "broke the lock cylinder". Worst case would be to bore the lock cylinder out like braking into your own car.

You may want to be more specific about the year and model and maybe even post a pic, so we get a better insight into the problem.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Juggalonmd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by error_401
Depending on year and model the Blazer has an electrical release with a solenoid.
Else I think it would mean crawl into the back and remove the lining to access the lock.

Not clear what you meant with "broke the lock cylinder". Worst case would be to bore the lock cylinder out like braking into your own car.

You may want to be more specific about the year and model and maybe even post a pic, so we get a better insight into the problem.
I got it done but my info on the rig is on my profile. 89 s10 blazer. What I had to do is cimbb in the back thru the driver's door lower the back seat, alot easier that way for the room to get it done, and find the latch that was behind the cover on the tailgate for the back window and pop the window open. Then with a long flathead screwdriver go between the latch for the back window and the gate and find the lever that releases the tailgate and push it towards the passenger side until u hear the latch release and pull on the gate.. then unbolt the cover over the lock mechanism. Pull the old out put the new in.