General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Trouble Codes Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Trouble Codes Question

I'm not sure which section to post this question, but here goes. I've noticed that the diagnostic trouble codes in this forum usually start with the letter P (or C) and are followed with four numeric digits. I don't own a scanner/analyser, although the prices have come down so far it may be a good investment, so I can't really relate to those threads. Instead I have always just jumped pins a and b together on the output diagnostic terminals and turned on the ignition and then watched the "service engine light" flash to get the code. I guess I'm just old school, my truck is a '91, a second vehicle. I now have code 45, "rich exaust indication", according to the manual. What should I do? Upgrade?, I guess, right? These are the codes you see on scanners, the P or C with four digits?

Last edited by TomSawyer; 04-24-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:24 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you going to upgrade? I would think "rich exhaust" could mean incomplete combustion in one or more cylinders, failing PCV valve, failing EGR valve....or other things that the guys who are way smarter than me can help you with.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

OBD1 codes are only two digits and can be "read" with the paper clip trick.

OBD2 codes require a scan tool to be able to read them and there are MANY more codes available. The sticky at the top of the DTC section gives the breakdown for OBD2 trouble codes --> ODBII - Trouble Codes

Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

I checked some of those things you mentioned but need to get a vaccuum pump to test the EGR valve, emission diagnostics are allways tough for me. I guess my question is this; should I invest in a scanner tool or is my truck too old to show any type 2 codes that the tool is able to scan for? In other words, can I retreive any additional codes with a scanner that my truck will not show with the flashing method?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have a 91 (from what I remember - Would help if you would put that information in your signature), a scanner will not really help you much other than keeping you from having to watch the CEL.