General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Using Overdrive in City Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 AM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

I just keep it on OD

Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I always drive around in OD, myself. If I'm going too slow for overdrive, the transmission won't shift. Same thing for lockup. If it does happen to be in OD, and I need to accelerate, it down shifts like an automatic is supposed to, and doesn't lug the engine.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It's not that the transmission doesn't downshift, and it doesn't lug the engine. What I find happens is that the truck will shift into "OD" at any speed over 60km/h (38mph), but that's around 12-1300RPM in my truck, so if I try to accelerate from that speed the truck hesitates for a moment then downshifts, often dropping all the way to 2nd even when at only half throttle. If I'm driving in "D" my RPM at that speed is 17-1800RPM, and when I put it to half throttle the truck simply accelerates without downshifting.

Also like Diata said previously, I like the compression braking from the engine when I'm city driving, especially coastind down to a red light. It makes it so I only have to touch the brakes to come to a complete stop.

Neither way is wrong or better. You just pick the driving style that suits you best.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 06-03-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road

I did a little driving around town this weekend in both D and OD and noticed a feq

Old 06-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Starting Member

I did some driving around town this weekend when I was out picking up parts to do my door pins/bushings and noticed a few issues when driving in OD versus driving in D.

When going 45-50mph down a baisc 4 lane road, I was running at 1500RPM's in OD, and about 2,000RPMs in D.

There wasn't much of a difference in RPM's until I got over 45. I think I will just keep it in OD since the higher RPM's would probably eat up more gas. I only go through 3-4 stoplights on my way to work, 90% of the drive is just cruising at 50.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:08 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I have never driven in city with OD only on the hiway when Im constantly going over 60mph or on a long trip.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
I have never driven in city with OD only on the hiway when Im constantly going over 60mph or on a long trip.
i have been just using drive around the city, I am not sure of any benefit of it, but the shifts seem better, and the acceleration is good

Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road

My trans has 1 2 3 D. i keep it in D in the city except downhill i bump into 3 and it helps keep speed down without braking too much. Im still a little use to my old manual that i coud just get the engine to slow me down without brakes.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Starting Member

Anyone know why my RPM's were higher in Drive? Could it be a transmission issue?

I tried it again today, same result, at any speed over 40 MPH I had much higher RPM's.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

1= only allows 1st gear
2= only up to 2nd
3 or D= only allows up to 3rd
4 or OD= allows use of all gears (1 thru 4)

if you never tow use OD, manual downshifting wears a piece in the trans (i forget which but its a little gear that deals with selecting which gear your in). If you never drive much more than 45 D or 3 will be ok, it can be seen as more responsive but dont drive your auto like a manual. An auto trans uses the time of normal decceleration and idle as a time to cool down. And time stess is put on it like accelerating or engine braking it is heating up. Think about this, would you rather rebuild your trans or change your brakes?

Attached Thumbnails Using Overdrive in City Driving?-tumblr_med6veienp1rqt0kqo1_500.jpg  

Last edited by AndrewO1991; 06-05-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Using Overdrive in City Driving?