General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Using Overdrive in City Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by phxjosh
Anyone know why my RPM's were higher in Drive? Could it be a transmission issue?

I tried it again today, same result, at any speed over 40 MPH I had much higher RPM's.
its normal. in overdrive you have that extra gear that helps lower rpm. drop that gear and you gain some rpms. Completely normal. drive is mainly for towing,or like other people said already. They like that the rpms are a little higher and in a better part of the power curve. aka a lil preppier in throttle response.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

a habit I picked up driving Mopars, once the engine is running drop the trans in Neutral. Let it warm up 10-30 seconds before dropping in R or OD.

On a mopar, the pump doesn't pressurize the system until you leave Park. So the trans is cold even if the engine is at operating temp. I know GM's work differently, but I do it anyway

Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

a habit I picked up driving Mopars, once the engine is running drop the trans in Neutral. Let it warm up 10-30 seconds before dropping in R or OD.

On a mopar, the pump doesn't pressurize the system until you leave Park. So the trans is cold even if the engine is at operating temp. I know GM's work differently, but I do it anyway

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road

My seccond gear seems to stay in two and not drop to first, even from a dead start. Third will shift down and I thik it's my drive and the d is my od.

Last edited by Neb15; 06-06-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Neb15
My seccond gear seems to stay in two and not drop to first, even from a dead start. Third will shift down and I thik it's my drive and the d is my od.
That's correct. 2 will hold the transmission in 2nd gear, and the same goes for 1st. 3 is the same as D in the older Blazers like mine.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 AM
RE849 is on a distinguished road

not sure about this but heard that driving in od in the city will wear out the yoke and you'll soon be getting a clunking when the gears change.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RE849
not sure about this but heard that driving in od in the city will wear out the yoke and you'll soon be getting a clunking when the gears change.

I can't see how. Your yoke sees the same wear either way. It does not know what gear you are in.

I have always shut off the electronic over drive when tooling around town. More than one trans expert has told me that overdrive is the weakest link in most transmissions. I have found that it just switches in and out of od when I use it around town anyway. I do this in my F150 and my Tercel but our Blazer does not have an electronic overdrive so I just put it in drive and go. So the older Blazers have an od button?

Last edited by grizzstang; 06-07-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
BigBlackBlazer is on a distinguished road

Hope Im not hijacking, but my 02 blazer has a 4 speed automatic transmission, and on the dash it has 1 2 3 D. I believe selecting 1-3 will lock out all other gears- so is D the only way to get to OD on my tranny? Is 4th gear the same as OD?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BigBlackBlazer
Hope Im not hijacking, but my 02 blazer has a 4 speed automatic transmission, and on the dash it has 1 2 3 D. I believe selecting 1-3 will lock out all other gears- so is D the only way to get to OD on my tranny? Is 4th gear the same as OD?

Yes. 4th is OD. 3rd is a 1:1 ratio, and 4th is the overdrive gear. While you could technically call it a 4 speed, it's more of a three speed automatic with overdrive.

Although nobody calls a 5-speed stick shift a 4 speed with overdrive. So, it's really just semantics, I guess.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

none of the blazers have an overdrive button but by putting it in the highest gear selection you are putting it in overdrive.

Quick Reply: Using Overdrive in City Driving?