General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Vibrating Fog Lights = Radar Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Starting Member
zball94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vibrating Fog Lights = Radar Ticket?

I have fog lights mounted on a bull bar on the front of my blazer. The bar vibrates on bumpy roads due to the weak brackets. I was chatting with a coworker and he told me a loose/moving light can cause a radar to be inaccurate. Does anyone have any input? Do you think it would hold up in court? I recently got a ticket that seemed way too fast to be true. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I may be wrong but if radar could be affected by light then the military wouldnt have gone thu the trouble of stealth tech...the would have just tossed infra red lights on equipment.
i doubt it ....besides radar and light waves are two diff things.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Radar bounces off metal, so perhaps he was thinking of the reflector vibrating behind the bulb, but I highly doubt that would cause any inaccuracy.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Radar bounces off metal, so perhaps he was thinking of the reflector vibrating behind the bulb, but I highly doubt that would cause any inaccuracy.
This is what I was referring to. Being that it's the most reflective part of my truck, one would assume that the majority of radar readings would be reflected off them. And they do vibrate a fair amount, considering the shot was taken while I was driving down a bumpy road.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Doubt your going to beat it but you can try. How much faster they say you were going.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

This was debunked by mythbusters to be false, they tried everythig in the book to mess with the radar, since they use lasers now, it will not effect the reading, back in the day, it would have, but not now.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Starting Member

The ticket says I was going 70km/h in a 50 zone (43/31 mph)

And I looked up the mythbusters episode, and they never tested vibrating headlights. The closest was the tinfoil hubcaps/tinfoil car cover.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode18

Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Either way, the vibrating headlights/foglights would not make a difference, a laser can penetrate it without a problem, and its such a small area of which it needs to "contact" the car. Fog lights would not be powerful enough to mess with a laser. If HID's dont.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM
C_Torres is on a distinguished road

I don't think it would have any affect on radar, but the bouncing could cause the light to blind other people (if there bright) , i keep mine pointed down but love keeping them on lol

Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I doubt it... A cop let me look down the laser gun once and check sone cars... Its like a rifle scope and very accurate. Besides he said they point it at your windshield not thr foglights.

Cant hurt to try, but i think it would be a waste of your time. The best you will get to fight it is a reduction of the fines.

Quick Reply: Vibrating Fog Lights = Radar Ticket?