General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What the...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member
71K5CST is on a distinguished road
Default What the...?

Hey everyone. I have no idea exactly what I've got here. I have a 1971 K5 CST that has every option imaginable, or thats what I gather.... It has factory A/C, Power Steering, white Hard Top, rear spare tire arm, and 2x auxiliary tanks that the original owner "ordered that way". Has anyone ever heard of the aux gas tank option before??? I cant fine a pic or anything of even one other blazer of any year with this.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like someone swapped a dual tank setup from a pickup onto your truck. Your truck would have come from the factory with a single 21 gallon tank (according to the factory brochure) between the frame rails behind the rear axle IIRC.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Beginning Member

Interesting. Well who ever did it did it very nicely. There's a switch on the dash to switch between the tanks and the tanks themselves are even painted to match the truck even though they are behind the rear bench and go over the wheel well. Learning new things about this truck every day. My dad has kind of sat on it for a long time and now I'm coaxing him to let me get it up and going again.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So they are up until the bed area? Sounds more like an aftermarket add-on than even a stock swap to me. Can you post pictures of the tanks & associated hoses, valves, switches, & wiring?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

What the...?-imag0156.jpg

What the...?-imag0157.jpg

What the...?-imag0158.jpg

What the...?-imag0160.jpg

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member

The first pic is of the driver's side filler necks, the second is of the passenger side neck, the third is what the tanks look like (this is just the passenger one the driver one is currently unbolted but is the same thing), and the last pic is under the driver aux tank on the under side of the truck. Not sure exactly where all three lines go yet, I'm still working on killing the probably 1,000 Black Widows that are currently calling my Blazer home ha ha. I'll post more pics if needed.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

that is crazy. i never seen anything like that. and doubt its factory, looks like someone just fabricated a tank in there. it seems weird they would run the filler neck into the removable cap. if its aftermarket you are probably on your own with figuring out the shenanigans with it. if you wanna spend some cash im sure a mechanic could figure it out just by tracing wires and figuring out what does was and testing everything.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That is just awesome!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Beginning Member

Well I spent all day underneath the truck today tracing hoses and whatnot. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought and it turns out that a lot of the hose went to T's that then went to the charcoal cannister. So I just deleted a lot of them leaving vent tubes for all three tanks since there's no need for the smog stuff anymore. So glad this truck is getting some attention, its been sitting for WAY too long.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 AM
247monster will become famous soon enough

that is awsome!! very well crafted props to the guy that did that !!