General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TxTurtle
Well, it's screwed good. Went to replace what I thought was a cracked dizzy cap, but it's not. The cap it fine. It's the tab that the cap screws into that is broken. It fell off completely when I pulled the cap.
Not sure what to do now. I guess the distributor will need to be replaced.
New Billet Ignition Distributor for Chevy Astro Van s 10 Blazer Jimmy 4 3L 96 07 | eBay

Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran

Doing some engine compartment cleanup

Old 04-09-2016, 11:33 AM
TxTurtle is on a distinguished road

Whoa! That's pretty cheap! Is it reliable & how hard is this job? I'm wondering if I should take the time to do the intake gaskets at the same time.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by TxTurtle
Whoa! That's pretty cheap! Is it reliable & how hard is this job? I'm wondering if I should take the time to do the intake gaskets at the same time.
Never done it myself, but dont believe its hard. you also dont have to take off the intake

Old 04-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I'm running a similar priced aluminum dizzy and I have no complaints. Another quick fix is Dorman makes a metal bracket specifically for the broken plastic distributors. I bought one at advance auto for like $10 before I got the new dizzy.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

I was about to warn you about those eBay distributors, but I forgot nobody has 1st gens anymore. The HEI units on those eBay distributors are total garbage. I got 5k out of the first one, and 7k out of the next. Ended up replacing everything with Echlin components from NAPA, and the truck never ran better - a total transformation. Turned out all the drivability issues I was having were from the chinese electronics inside. The 2nd gens only have a pickup inside, so alot less components to worry about.

I forgot the 2nd gen units are plastic. What a joke. Leave it to GM ...

I guess those cheap ones wear out internally (bushings), and will throw a cam/crank correlation code due to the excessive play. But for that price, just buy another & throw it in.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I was about to warn you about those eBay distributors, but I forgot nobody has 1st gens anymore.
Bite your tongue.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Put in the 3rd brake light. SMD LEDS just do not cut it, especially with how dark the rear windows are tinted. Looks great when its dark, not so much in the day light.
Going to end up making a new one using lumileds.

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Bite your tongue.
LOL!

Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM
TxTurtle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I was about to warn you about those eBay distributors, but I forgot nobody has 1st gens anymore. The HEI units on those eBay distributors are total garbage. I got 5k out of the first one, and 7k out of the next. Ended up replacing everything with Echlin components from NAPA, and the truck never ran better - a total transformation. Turned out all the drivability issues I was having were from the chinese electronics inside. The 2nd gens only have a pickup inside, so alot less components to worry about.
Ah, well what's done is done. I ended up ordering that one. If it will last a couple of months it will work for me. It only has to last a couple of more months before I sell or trade it in. Wife wants a smaller SUV to drive in traffic & park in the small spaces at the hospital downtown. When we get her a smaller vehicle, I will start driving the Yukon XL.
I won't buy another S-10 Blazer again. I like it, but I need more room. I want a good running 85ish K5 4x4 that I can tinker on.
I was going to order the distributor from Skip White performance, but they were already closed when I tried to call yesterday. I need it ASAP since this is my daily. Their website is crap & had no info about shipping time frames otherwise I would have ordered that one.
Right now I applied my Southern engineering degree from Redneck Univ & have the cap held on with a slightly modified bar clamp that I picked up at Harbor Freight. It still misses, but it's a two dollar solution to get me through until the weekend when I can put the new dizzy in.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Good plan - no point sinking money into it if you're just going to sell it.

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Bite your tongue.
Ahh, you're the last holdout! I thought I was the last one.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?